Wilbur next tried one of the lambs.
威爾伯接下來試試看問一只小羊羔。
"Will you please play with me?" he asked.
“你能跟我玩嗎?”它問道。
"Certainly not," said the lamb.
“當然不能,”那小羊羔說,
"In the first place, I cannot get into your pen,
“第一,我沒法到你的圈里去,
as I am not old enough to jump over the fence.
我還沒大到能跳過圍欄。
In the second place, I am not interested in pigs. Pigs mean less than nothing to me."
第二,我對豬沒興趣。對我來說,豬的價值比零還要少。”
"What do you mean, less than nothing?" replied Wilbur.
“比零還要少,你這話是什么意思?”威爾伯應道,
"I don't think there is any such thing as less than nothing.
“我不認為有什么東西會比零還要少。
Nothing is absolutely the limit of nothingness. It's the lowest you can go.
零就是零,什么也沒有,這已經到了極限,
It's the end of the line. How can something be less than nothing?
少到了極限,怎么能有東西比零還要少呢?
If there were something that was less than nothing, then nothing would not be nothing, it would be something
如果有什么東西比零還要少,那么這零就不能是零,一定要有些東西
even though it's just a very little bit of something.
哪怕只是一丁點東西。
But if nothing is nothing, then nothing has nothing that is less than it is."
如果零就是零,那就沒有什么東西比它還要少。”
"Oh, be quiet!" said the lamb. "Go play by yourself! I don't play with pigs."
“噢,別說了!”小羊羔說,“你自個兒去玩吧!反正我不跟豬玩。”