That's when we experience neurosis. When we don't cultivate ourselves enough,
如果我們感到焦慮如果我們不注重培養自己的能力
We don't cultivate our relationships enough, that's when we fail. And what the positive psychology is all about is precisely that
不注重培養自己的人際關系 就會失敗積極心理學研究的是關于
Cultivating personal growth, working on the positive. And we work on the positive on what comes of this side
培育自身成長和積極性我們研究積極性 它處于這一邊
Of the graph that you saw up there. On the positive side, when we cultivate these things,
大家可以在這上面看到在積極的一方 當我們注重培養這些情感因素
It also helps us deal much better with the negative when dead arises.
就會助于我們更好地處理消極因素
I want to quote Martin Seligman, who talks about precisely this idea:
我想引用Martin Seligman的話他說過這樣一句話
In the last decade psychologists have become concerned with prevention.
在過去的十年心理學家關心的都是預防的問題
How can we prevent problems like depression or substance abuse or schizophrenia in young people
怎樣才能預防像抑郁癥這樣的心理問題或年輕人中常出現的藥物濫用或精神分裂癥
Who are genetically vulnerable or who live in worlds that nurture these problems?
誰天生敏感脆弱 誰又是制造這些問題的人?
How can we prevent murderous schoolyard violence in children who have access to weapons, poor parental supervision,
如何防止校園暴力這些暴力事件通常是由掌握武器 缺乏父母監管
And a mean streak? Now he's asking this question and the disease model
或受到教唆的孩子引起的他問了這個問題 根據疾病模型
Response to this is we need to help them deal directly with depression,
我們需要幫助他們直接處理抑郁癥
With their anxiety and with their unhappiness so that we can prevent all these social ills
還有他們的焦慮和憂愁才能防止所有這些社會弊病
Whether it's violence, whether it's unhappiness. What he's saying here is the following:
無論是暴力還是不快樂他是這么說的
What we have learned over fifty years is that the disease model does not move us closer to the prevention
五十多年的經驗告訴我們 疾病模型不能讓我們更有力地預防