Slavery troubled me as long as I can remember in a way it never troubled my father,
從我記事起 奴隸制就一直困擾我 遠遠超過它對我父親的困擾
though he hated it, in his own fashion.
盡管我父親用自己的方式憎恨奴隸制
He knew no small holding dirt farmer could compete with slave plantations.
他知道擁有小塊土地的農夫 無法與擁有奴隸種植園的奴隸主匹敵
He took us out from Kentucky to get away from them. He wanted Indiana kept free.
他帶我們離開肯塔基州 離開那些人 他希望在印第安納州保持中立
He wasn't a kind man,but there was a rough moral urge for fairness, for freedom in him.
他不是個仁慈的人 但是發自內心對公正最原始的渴求 驅使他追求自由
I learnt that from him, I suppose,if little else from him.
我想這是我從他身上學到的東西 如果說我從他身上學到了什么的話
We didn't care for one another, Mr. Yeaman.
我們從未關心過對方 伊曼先生
Well, I'm sorry to hear that.Loving kindness,that most ordinary thing came to me
聽到這些 我很難過 愛與仁慈 這些生活中無處不在的東西
from other sources.I'm grateful for that.
總讓我心懷感激
I I hate it, too, sir.slavery, but,but we're entirely unready for emancipation.
我 我也厭惡它 先生 我恨奴隸制 但是 但是我們還沒有為解放做好準備
There's too many questions We're unready for peace too, ain't we?
還有太多的問題 我們也沒有為和平做好準備 不是嗎
Yeah, when it comes,it'll present us with conundrums and
當和平到來的時候 我們會遇到各種棘手的難題
dangers greater than any we've faced during the war,bloody as it's been.
甚至是同戰爭時一樣多的鮮血 更大的危險 同樣的鮮血淋漓
We'll have to extemporize and experiment with what it is, when it is.
我們需要根據實際情況來嘗試及調整 才能找到最佳的方法和時機
I read your speech, George.Negroes and the vote, that's a puzzle.
我讀了你的演講稿 喬治 黑人和選舉權 真是個難題
No, no, but-but-but but Negroes can't um vote, Mr. Lincoln.
不 不 但是 但黑人不能 有權投票 林肯先生