Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant, City Point.
致陸軍總司令尤利西斯·格蘭特 錫蒂波因特
I have read your words with interest.
我極有誠意的讀完您的電報
I ask that, regardless of any action I take in the matter of the visit of the Richmond commissioners,
不論我如何應對里士滿官員來訪一事 我要求您
you maintain among your troops military preparedness for battle,as you have done until now.
請您務必讓軍隊一如既往地時刻保持備戰狀態
Have Captain Saunders convey the commissioners to me here in Washington.
請桑德斯上尉帶該特使團前來華盛頓與我商談
A. Lincoln and the date.Yes sir.
亞伯拉罕·林肯再加上日期 好的 先生
Shall I transmit, sir?You think we choose to be born?
現在就發嗎 先生 我們能決定自己的出生嗎
I don't suppose so.Are we fitted to the times we're born into?
我覺得不能 我們是不是生逢其時
Well, I don't know about myself.You may be sir. Fitted.
我不知道自己是不是 但您也許是的 先生
What do you reckon?Well,I'm an engineer.
你是怎么想的 我是名工程師
I reckon there's machinery but No one's done the fitting.
這個時代有機械 但是沒有人天生就適合
You're an engineer.You must know Euclid's axioms and common notions.
你是名工程師 那一定知道歐幾里得的定理和公理
I must've in school, but I never had much of schooling,but I read Euclid,in an old book I borrowed.
我在學校學過 但是 我受過的學校教育不多 但是在一本借到的舊書上 讀過歐幾里得
Little enough ever found its way in here, but once learnt it stayed learnt.
這里沒有理解住多少 但是 一旦學會就永遠都記得