Something of daylight still lingered, and the moon was waxing bright.
白晝的余光遲遲沒有離去,月亮越來越大,也越來越亮。
I could see him plainly.
這時我能將他看得清楚了。
His figure was enveloped in a riding cloak, fur collared and steel clasped.
他身上裹著騎手披風,戴著皮毛領,系著鋼扣子。
its details were not apparent, but I traced the general points of middle height and considerable breadth of chest.
他的臉部看不大清楚,但我捉摸得出,他大體中等身材,胸膛很寬。
He had a dark face, with stern features and a heavy brow.
他的臉龐黝黑,面容嚴厲、眉毛濃密。
his eyes and gathered eyebrows looked ireful and thwarted just now.
他的眼睛和緊鎖的雙眉看上去剛才遭到了挫折、并且憤怒過。
he was past youth, but had not reached middle-age.
他青春已逝,但未屆中年。
perhaps he might be thirty-five.
大約三十五歲。
I felt no fear of him, and but little shyness.
我覺得自己并不怕他,但有點兒靦腆。
Had he been a handsome, heroic-looking young gentleman,
要是他是位漂亮笑俊的年輕紳士,
I should not have dared to stand thus questioning him against his will, and offering my services unasked.
我也許不會如此大膽地站著,違背他心愿提出問題,而且不等他開口就表示愿意幫忙。
I had hardly ever seen a handsome youth, never in my life spoken to one.
我幾乎沒有看到過一位漂亮的青年,平生也從未同一位漂亮青年說過話。
I had a theoretical reverence and homage for beauty, elegance, gallantry, fascination.
我在理論上尊崇美麗、高雅、勇敢和魅力。
But had I met those qualities incarnate in masculine shape,
但如果我見到這些品質體現有男性的軀體中,
I should have known instinctively that they neither had nor could have sympathy with anything in me,
那我會本能地明白,這些東西沒有,也不可能與我的品質共鳴、
and should have shunned them as one would fire, lightning, or anything else that is bright but antipathetic.
那我也會像人們躲避火災、閃電、或者別的雖然明亮卻今人厭惡的東西一樣,對它們避之不迭。
If even this stranger had smiled and been good-humoured to me when I addressed him.
如果這位陌生人在我同他說話時微笑一下,并且對我和和氣氣。

If he had put off my offer of assistance gaily and with thanks,
如果他愉快地謝絕我的幫助,并表示感謝,
I should have gone on my way and not felt any vocation to renew inquiries.
我準會繼續趕路,不會感到有任何職責去重新向他發問。
But the frown, the roughness of the traveller, set me at my ease.
但是這位趕路人的皺眉和粗獷,卻使我坦然自若。
I retained my station when he waved to me to go, and announced:
因此當他揮手叫我走的時候,我仍然堅守陣地,并且宣布:
"I cannot think of leaving you, sir, at so late an hour, in this solitary lane, till I see you are fit to mount your horse."
“先生,沒有看到你能夠騎上馬,我是不能讓你留在這條偏僻小路上的,天已經這么晚了。”
He looked at me when I said this. He had hardly turned his eyes in my direction before.
我說這話的時候,他看著我,而在這之前,他幾乎沒有朝我的方向看過。
"I should think you ought to be at home yourself, "said he, "if you have a home in this neighbourhood. Where do you come from?"
“我覺得你自己該回家了,”他說,“要是你的家在附近的話。你是從哪兒來的?”
“From just below; and I am not at all afraid of being out late when it is moonlight.
“就是下面那個地方,只要有月光,在外面呆晚了我也一點都不害怕。
I will run over to Hay for you with pleasure, if you wish it:
我很樂意為你去跑一趟海村,要是你想的話。
Indeed, I am going there to post a letter.
說真的,我正要上那兒去寄封信。
"You live just below — do you mean at that house with the battlements?" pointing to Thornfield Hall,
“你說就住在下面,是不是指有城垛的那幢房子?”他指著桑菲爾德府。
on which the moon cast a hoary gleam, bringing it out distinct and pale from the woods that,
這時月亮給桑菲爾德府灑下了灰白色的光,清晰地勾勒出了它以樹林為背景的蒼白輪廓。
by contrast with the western sky, now seemed one mass of shadow.
而那樹林,在西邊的天際襯托之下,似乎成了一大片陰影。
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
Whose house is it?
那是誰的房子?
Mr. Rochester's.
羅切斯特先生的。
Do you know Mr. Rochester?
你知道羅切斯特先生嗎?
No, I have never seen him.
不知道,從來沒有見過他。
He is not resident, then?
他不常住在那里嗎?
No.
是的。