This lane inclined up-hill all the way to Hay.
這條小徑沿著山坡一路往上直至海鎮。
Having reached the middle, I sat down on a stile which led thence into a field.
步到半路,我在通向田野的臺階上坐了下來。
Gathering my mantle about me, and sheltering my hands in my muff,
我用斗篷把自己緊緊裹住,把手捂在皮手筒里,
I did not feel the cold, though it froze keenly.
所以盡管天寒地凍,卻并不覺得很冷。
As was attested by a sheet of ice covering the causeway, where a little brooklet,
幾天前已經融化泛濫的小河,
now congealed, had overflowed after a rapid thaw some days since.
現在又凍結起來。堤壩上結了一層薄冰,這是寒冷的明證。
From my seat I could look down on Thornfield.
從我落座的地方外以俯視桑菲爾德府。
The grey and battlemented hall was the principal object in the vale below me.
建有城垛的灰色府第是低處溪谷中的主要景物。
Its woods and dark rookery rose against the west.
樹林和白嘴鴉黑魈魈的巢穴映襯著西邊的天際。
I lingered till the sun went down amongst the trees, and sank crimson and clear behind them.
我閑蕩著,直支太陽落入樹叢,樹后一片火紅,
I then turned eastward.
才往東走去。

On the hill-top above me sat the rising moon;
在我頭頂的山尖上,懸掛著初升的月光。
Pale yet as a cloud, but brightening momentarily,
先是像云朵般蒼白,但立刻便明亮起來,
she looked over Hay, which, half lost in trees, sent up a blue smoke from its few chimneys.
俯瞰著海村。海村掩映在樹叢之中,不多的煙囪里升起了裊裊藍煙。
it was yet a mile distant, but in the absolute hush I could hear plainly its thin murmurs of life.
這里與海村相距一英里,因為萬籟俱寂,我可以清晰地聽到村落輕微的動靜。
My ear, too, felt the flow of currents.
我的耳朵也感受到了水流聲。
In what dales and depths I could not tell:
但來自哪個溪谷和深淵,卻無法判斷。
But there were many hills beyond Hay, and doubtless many becks threading their passes.
海村那邊有很多小山,無疑會有許多山溪流過隘口。
That evening calm betrayed alike the tinkle of the nearest streams, the sough of the most remote.
黃昏的寧靜,也同樣反襯出近處溪流的叮冬聲和最遙遠處的颯颯風聲。
A rude noise broke on these fine ripplings and whisperings, at once so far away and so clear.
一個粗重的聲音,沖破了細微的潺潺水聲和沙沙的風聲,既遙遠而又清晰。
A positive tramp, tramp, a metallic clatter, which effaced the soft wave-wanderings;
一種確確實實的腳步聲。刺耳的喀嗒喀嗒聲,蓋過了柔和的波濤起伏似的聲響。
As, in a picture, the solid mass of a crag,
猶如在一幅畫中。濃墨渲染的前景
or the rough boles of a great oak, drawn in dark and strong on the foreground,
一大塊峭巖或者一棵大橡樹的粗壯樹干,
efface the aerial distance of azure hill, sunny horizon, and blended clouds where tint melts into tint.
消融了遠景中青翠的山巒、明亮的天際和斑駁的云彩。
The din was on the causeway.
這聲音是從小路上傳來的。
A horse was coming; the windings of the lane yet hid it, but it approached.
一匹馬過來了,它一直被彎曲的小路遮擋著,這時己漸漸靠近。
I was just leaving the stile;
我正要離開臺階。
Yet, as the path was narrow, I sat still to let it go by.
但因為小路很窄,便端坐不動,讓它過去。
In those days I was young, and all sorts of fancies bright and dark tenanted my mind.
在那段歲月里,我還年輕,腦海里有著種種光明和黑暗的幻想。
The memories of nursery stories were there amongst other rubbish;
記憶中的育兒室故事,和別的無稽之談交織在一起。
And when they recurred, maturing youth added to them a vigour and vividness beyond what childhood could give.
這一切在腦際重現時,正在成熟的青春給它們增添了一種童年時所沒有的活力和真實感。
As this horse approached, and as I watched for it to appear through the dusk,
當這匹馬越來越近,而我凝眸等待它在薄暮中出現時,
I remembered certain of Bessie's tales, wherein figured a North-of-England spirit called a “Gytrash,”
我驀地記起了貝茜講的故事中一個英格蘭北部的精靈,名叫“蓋特拉西”,
which, in the form of horse, mule, or large dog, haunted solitary ways,
形狀像馬,也像騾子,或是像一條大狗,出沒在偏僻的道路上,
and sometimes came upon belated travellers, as this horse was now coming upon me.
有時會撲向遲歸的旅人,就像此刻這匹馬向我馳來一樣。