It was very near, but not yet in sight.
這匹馬已經很近了,但還看不見。
When, in addition to the tramp, tramp, I heard a rush under the hedge, and close down by the hazel stems glided a great dog,
除了得得的蹄聲,我還聽見了樹籬下一陣騷動,緊靠地面的榛子樹枝下,悄悄地溜出一條大狗,
whose black and white colour made him a distinct object against the trees.
黑白相間的毛色襯著樹木,使它成了一個清晰的目標。
It was exactly one form of Bessie's Gytrash — a lion-like creature with long hair and a huge head.
這正是貝茜故事中,“蓋特拉西”的面孔,一個獅子一般的怪物,有著長長的頭發和碩大無比的頭顱。
It passed me, however, quietly enough.
它從我身旁經過,卻同我相安無事。
Not staying to look up, with strange pretercanine eyes, in my face, as I half expected it would.
并沒有像我有幾分擔心的那樣,停下來用比狗更具智想的奇特目光,抬頭看我的面孔。
The horse followed, — a tall steed, and on its back a rider.
那匹馬接跟而來,是匹高頭大馬,馬背上坐著一位騎手。
The man, the human being, broke the spell at once.
那男人,也就是人本身,立刻驅散了魔氣。
Nothing ever rode the Gytrash. It was always alone.
“蓋特拉西”總是獨來獨往。從來沒有被當作坐騎的。
And goblins, to my notions, though they might tenant the dumb carcasses of beasts,
而據我所知,盡管妖怪們會寄生在啞巴動物的軀殼之內,
could scarce covet shelter in the commonplace human form.
卻不大可能看中一般人的軀體,把它作為藏身之地。
No Gytrash was this, — only a traveller taking the short cut to Millcote.
這可不是蓋特拉西,而不過是位旅行者,抄近路到米爾科特去。
He passed, and I went on.
他從我身邊走過,我依舊繼續趕路。
A few steps, and I turned.
還沒走幾步,我便回過頭來。
A sliding sound and an exclamation of "What the deuce is to do now?" and a clattering tumble, arrested my attention.
一陣什么東西滑落的聲音,一聲“怎么辦,活見鬼?”的叫喊和咔啦啦啦翻滾落地的聲響,引起了我的注意。
Man and horse were down; they had slipped on the sheet of ice which glazed the causeway.
人和馬都己倒地,是在路當中光滑的薄冰層上滑倒的。
The dog came bounding back, and seeing his master in a predicament,
那條狗竄了回來,看見主人處境困難,
and hearing the horse groan, barked till the evening hills echoed the sound, which was deep in proportion to his magnitude.
聽見馬在呻吟,便狂吠著,暮靄中的群山響起了回聲,那吠聲十分深沉,與它巨大的身軀很相稱。
He snuffed round the prostrate group, and then he ran up to me.
它先在倒地的兩位周圍聞聞,隨后跑到了我面前。
It was all he could do, — there was no other help at hand to summon.
它也只能如此,因為附近沒有別人可以求助。
I obeyed him, and walked down to the traveller, by this time struggling himself free of his steed.
我順了它,走到了這位旅行者身邊,這時他已掙扎著脫離了自己的馬。
His efforts were so vigorous, I thought he could not be much hurt,
他的動作十分有力、因而我認為他可能傷得不重,
but I asked him the question: "Are you injured, sir?"
但我還是問了這個問題:“你傷著了嗎,先生?”
I think he was swearing, but am not certain;
我現在想來他當時在罵罵咧咧,
however, he was pronouncing some formula which prevented him from replying to me directly.
不過我沒有把握,然而他口中念念有詞,所以無法馬上回答我。
"Can I do anything?" I asked again.
“我能幫忙嗎?”我又問。
"You must just stand on one side," he answered as he rose, first to his knees, and then to his feet. I did.
“你得站到一邊來,”他邊回答邊站起來。先是成跪姿,然后站立起來,我照他的話做了。
Whereupon began a heaving, stamping, clattering process,
于是出現了一個人喘馬嘶、腳步雜踏和馬蹄沖擊的場面,
accompanied by a barking and baying which removed me effectually some yards' distance,
伴之以狗的狂吠,結果把我攆到了幾碼遠之外,
but I would not be driven quite away till I saw the event.
但還不至于遠到看不見這件事情的結局。
This was finally fortunate; the horse was re-established, and the dog was silenced with a "Down, Pilot!"
最后總算萬幸,這匹馬重新站立起來了,那條狗也在叫了一聲“躺下,派洛特!,后便乖乖地不吱聲了。
The traveller now, stooping, felt his foot and leg, as if trying whether they were sound.
此刻這位趕路人彎下身子摸了摸自己的腳和腿,仿佛在試驗一下它們是否安然無恙。
Apparently something ailed them, for he halted to the stile whence I had just risen, and sat down.
顯然他什么部位有些疼痛,因為他蹣跚地踱向我剛才起身離開的臺階,一屁股坐了下來。
I was in the mood for being useful, or at least officious, I think, for I now drew near him again.
我心里很想幫忙,或者我想至少是愛管閑事,這時我再次走近了他。
If you are hurt, and want help, sir, I can fetch some one either from Thornfield Hall or from Hay.
要是你傷著了,需要幫忙,先生,我可以去叫人,到桑菲爾德,或海村。
Thank you. I shall do. I have no broken bones, only a sprain.
謝謝你,我能行,骨頭沒有跌斷,只不過扭壞了腳。
And again he stood up and tried his foot, but the result extorted an involuntary "Ugh!"
他再次站起來,試了試腳,可是結果卻不由自主地叫了聲“唉!”