In it are the stories of how many times I've had to reinvent a self from the ruins of my choices,
書里講述的是我如何在人生選擇的廢墟中重生的故事。
the stories of how my seeming failures were really just weird-ass portals to something beautiful.
書里講述的是那些我的失敗如何奇跡般地通向美好的故事。
All I had to do was give voice to the story.
我要做的就是讓大家聽到我的故事。
There's a myth in most cultures about following your dreams.
每一種文化中都有追夢的神話,
It's called the hero's journey.
大多數叫做英雄之路。
But I prefer a different myth, that's slightly to the side of that or underneath it.
不過我更喜歡另一種神話,一種過程不同,不為人所知的神話,
It's called the misfit's myth.
叫做不適者的神話。
And it goes like this:
它是這樣的:
even at the moment of your failure, right then, you are beautiful.
即使那時候你失敗了,失敗的你也是美好的。
You don't know it yet, but you have the ability to reinvent yourself endlessly.
你可能沒有發覺那個不斷地試圖重生的你
That's your beauty.
是最美麗的。
You can be a drunk, you can be a survivor of abuse,
你可以醉酒,你可以從虐待中逃脫出來,
you can be an ex-con, you can be a homeless person,
你可以有前科,你可以無家可歸,
you can lose all your money or your job or your husband or your wife, or the worst thing of all, a child.
你可以失去所有的錢,工作甚至另一半,或者最難過的莫過于,你失去了你的孩子,
You can even lose your marbles.
甚至失去理智。
You can be standing dead center in the middle of your failure
你站在失敗的正中心,
and still, I'm only here to tell you, you are so beautiful.
此時我要告訴你,你是那么美好。
Your story deserves to be heard,
你的故事應該被大家聽到
because you, you rare and phenomenal misfit,
因為你是稀有的,是獨特的,是獨一無二的,
you new species, are the only one in the room who can tell the story the way only you would.
這個屋子里只有你可以用只有你才會的方式來講述你的故事。
And I'd be listening. Thank you.
而我會靜靜地聆聽。謝謝。