The radiance falls on all of us, and we are nothing without each other.
只有和大家團結在一起,每個人才是光芒四射的。
Instead, I flew back to Oregon,
可現實是,我飛回了俄勒岡,
and as I watched the evergreens and rain come back into view,
看著窗外的雨拍打著常青樹
I just drank many tiny bottles of airplane "feel sorry for yourself."
我不禁借酒澆愁。
I thought about how, if I was a writer, I was some kind of misfit writer.
我想就算我是一個作家,我也只是一個格格不入的作家。
What I'm saying is, I flew back to Oregon without a book deal, without an agent,
我想說,我回到俄勒岡,沒有簽下一個書約,沒有經紀人同行,
and with only a headful and heart-ful of memories of having sat so near the beautiful writers.
有的只是滿滿的回憶。我曾經和那些美麗的作家離得那么近。
Memory was the only prize I allowed myself.
回憶是我給自己的獎勵。
And yet, at home in the dark, back in my underwear,
然后當我回到家的黑暗中,穿回我的內衣,
I could still hear their voices.
我還能夠聽見她們的聲音。
They said, "Don't listen to anyone who tries to get you to shut up or change your story."
她們說:“不要讓任何試圖讓你閉嘴的人改變你的故事。”
They said, "Give voice to the story only you know how to tell."
她們說:“表達只有你才知道的感受。”
They said, "Sometimes telling the story is the thing that saves your life."
她們說:“有時候寫書可以改變你的一生。”
Now I am, as you can see, the woman over 50.
現在,我也50多歲了。
And I'm a writer. And I'm a mother. And I became a teacher.
我是一個作家。我是一位母親。我也成為了一名老師。
Guess who my favorite students are.
猜猜我最喜歡的學生是誰。
Although it didn't happen the day that dream letter came through my mailbox,
我寫了一篇回憶錄,盡管不是從郵筒拿出信的那一天寫的,
I did write a memoir, called "The Chronology of Water."
叫做“似水年華”。