The whole time he was talking to me,
整個談話期間
I sat there smiling and nodding like a numb idiot,
我麻木的像個傻子。
with my arms crossed over my chest,
雙手交叉在胸前,
while nothing, nothing, nothing came out of my throat.
不住地微笑和點頭,卻一句話都不說,
So in the end, he patted me on the shoulder like a swim coach might.
最后他像一個游泳教練一樣 拍了拍我的肩膀。
And he wished me luck and he gave me some free books
他祝我好運,送了我幾本免費的書
and he showed me out the door.
請我出去了。
Next, they took me to the offices of W.W. Norton, W.W.
接下來他們讓我去諾頓的辦公室,
where I was pretty sure I'd be escorted from the building just for wearing Doc Martens.
我以為穿了馬騰斯博士靴的我一定會有人陪同一起過去。
But that didn't happen.
但是并沒有人陪我。
Being at the Norton offices felt like reaching up into the night sky and touching the moon
在諾頓的辦公室里就像身處洪荒,摘星攬月
while the stars stitched your name across the cosmos.
群星閃爍,在無盡的宇宙中編織著我的名字。
I mean, that's how big a deal it was to me.
這是我人生中多么重大的一件事啊。
You get it?
你明白了么?
Their lead editor, Carol Houck Smith,
他們的主編,卡羅爾·霍克史密斯,
leaned over right in my face with these beady, bright, fierce eyes and said,
靠在我面前,閃爍著有神,明亮,犀利的目光跟我說:
"Well, send me something then, immediately!"
“寄給我你的一些作品,馬上!”
See, now most people, especially TED people, would have run to the mailbox, right?
大部分人,尤其是來能TED的人馬上會去寄,對吧?
It took me over a decade to even imagine putting something in an envelope and licking a stamp.
而我花了很久的時間來思考要不要做這件事。