She's just ten feet yonder.I'd like to keep my job.
她只有10尺遠 我可不想丟了飯碗
Senator Sumner, it has been much too long.
薩姆納議員 好久不見
Oh, who can look on that celestial face and James Ashley, ma'am,
您真是美艷動人 這位是詹姆斯·阿什利 女士
We've met several times. Praise Heavens, praise Heavens,
感謝上蒼 感謝上蒼 我們見過幾次
just when I had abandoned hope of amusement,It's the Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee.
我還以為今晚會十分無趣呢 這不是眾議院籌款委員會主席嗎
Mrs. Lincoln.Madame President if you please.
林肯太太 請稱呼我第一夫人
Oh, don't convene another subcommittee to investigate me, sir.
千萬別派下屬委員會來調查我
I'm teasing.Smile, Senator Wade.I believe I am smiling, Mrs. Lincoln.
我開玩笑呢 笑一個 韋德議員 我這就是在笑呢 林肯太太
As long as your household accounts are in order, Madame,
只要您家的財務沒什么問題 夫人
we'll have no need to investigate them.
我們就不需要調查它們
You have always taken such a lively,even prosecutorial interest in my household accounts.
你一直都對我家的賬本 有著強烈的檢察興趣
Your household accounts have always been so interesting.
那是因為您家的賬務讓人感興趣
Yes, thank you, it's true,
謝謝 這倒是真的
the miracles I have wrought out of fertilizer bills and cutlery invoices,but I had to.
擺平農務和伙食的賬務可真是奇跡 不過我必須做到
Four years ago, when the president and I arrived,this was pure pigsty.
四年前 當我和總統到這里時 這里跟豬窩一樣
Tobacco stains in the turkey carpets.
土耳其地毯上盡是煙草污漬
Mushrooms, green as the moon, sprouting from the ceilings!
天花板上長著月光般泛綠的蘑菇
And a pauper's pittance allotted for improvements.
還有少得可憐的維護預算
As if your committee joined with all of Washington awaiting,in what you anticipated would be our comfort in squalor,
似乎你們委員會同全華盛頓一起 在這個你們期待成為我們舒適歸宿的骯臟小窩里
further proove that my husband and I were prairie primitives,
等著證明我們是來自草原的原始人
unsuited to the position to which an error of the people,a flaw in the democratic process, had elevated us.
因人民選擇的錯誤和民主制度的瑕疵 被推舉到一個我們配不上的高位