"There is nothing to laugh at," cried Pinocchio angrily.
“這沒什么可笑的,”皮諾喬生氣地叫道。
"I am very sorry to make your mouth water, but these, as you know, are five new gold pieces."
“我真不想叫你們流口水,可這兒,要是你們想知道的話,有五個亮閃閃的金幣。”
And he pulled out the gold pieces which Fire Eater had given him.
他說著掏出吃火人送他的金幣。
At the cheerful tinkle of the gold, the Fox unconsciously held out his paw that was supposed to be lame, and the Cat opened wide his two eyes till they looked like live coals, but he closed them again so quickly that Pinocchio did not notice.
一聽到金幣丁丁當當響,狐貍不由自主地伸出了它那只本該瘸了的爪子,貓也張大了它那兩只眼睛,這兩只眼睛綠幽幽的像兩盞燈,不過它們馬上又閉上了,皮諾喬當然一點沒看見。
"And may I ask," inquired the Fox, "what you are going to do with all that money?"
“現在,”狐貍問他,“你拿著這些錢想干什么呢?”
"First of all," answered the Marionette, "I want to buy a fine new coat for my father, a coat of gold and silver with diamond buttons; after that, I'll buy an A-B-C book for myself."
“首先,”皮諾喬回答說,“我要給我爸爸買一件漂亮的新上衣,金絲銀線織的,鈕扣是寶石做的;然后,我要給自己買一本識字課本。”
"For yourself?"
“給你自己?”
"For myself. I want to go to school and study hard."
“還用說,我要去上學,好好讀書。”
"Look at me," said the Fox. "For the silly reason of wanting to study, I have lost a paw."
“你瞧瞧我吧,”狐貍說,“我就為了愚蠢到竟然想去讀書,結果確失去了一個爪子。”
"Look at me," said the Cat. "For the same foolish reason, I have lost the sight of both eyes."
“你瞧瞧我吧,”貓說了,“我就為了愚蠢到竟然想去讀書,結果把兩只眼睛都搞瞎了。”
At that moment, a Blackbird, perched on the fence along the road, called out sharp and clear:
正在這時候,一只畫眉鳥停在了路邊的籬笆上,清脆的叫起來:
"Pinocchio, do not listen to bad advice. If you do, you'll be sorry!"
“皮諾喬,別聽他們的壞建議,不然你會后悔的!”
Poor little Blackbird! If he had only kept his words to himself!
可憐的小畫眉還沒來得及把話說完!
In the twinkling of an eyelid, the Cat leaped on him, and ate him, feathers and all.
一個眨眼的功夫,貓猛地一跳抓住了它,連毛一起吞進了貓肚子。
After eating the bird, he cleaned his whiskers, closed his eyes, and became blind once more.
貓吃掉這只鳥,擦過嘴巴,重新閉上兩只眼睛,繼續裝著瞎子。
"Poor Blackbird!" said Pinocchio to the Cat. "Why did you kill him?"
“可憐的畫眉!”皮諾喬對貓說,“你為什么吃了它?”
"I killed him to teach him a lesson. He talks too much. Next time he will keep his words to himself."
“我這樣做是為了教訓教訓它,這樣一來,下次它就能學乖,不會亂插嘴了。”
By this time the three companions had walked a long distance.
這時他們已經走了很遠的路程了。
Suddenly, the Fox stopped in his tracks and, turning to the Marionette, said to him: "Do you want to double your gold pieces?"
狐貍忽然停下,對木偶說:“你想讓你的金幣翻倍嗎?”
"What do you mean?"
“你這話什么意思?”
"Do you want one hundred, a thousand, two thousand gold pieces for your miserable five?"
“你只有那么五個金幣,你想讓它們變成一百個,一千個,兩千個嗎?”
"Yes, but how?"
“那還用說!可怎么變呢?”
"The way is very easy. Instead of returning home, come with us."
“簡單極了。你先別回家,跟我們走。”
"And where will you take me?"
“你們帶我上哪兒去?”
"To the City of Simple Simons."
“到傻瓜城去。”