Pinocchio, at that heartbreaking sight, threw himself at the feet of Fire Eater and,
看見這種凄慘場面,皮諾喬撲倒在了班主腳下痛哭,
weeping bitterly, asked in a pitiful voice which could scarcely be heard:
用他那小得可憐的凄慘聲音開始哀求他說:
"Have pity, I beg of you, signore!"
“可憐可憐吧,求求你了,先生!……”
"There are no signori here!"
“這里沒有先生!”
"Have pity, kind sir!"
“可憐可憐吧,好心的爵士!”
"There are no sirs here!"
“這里沒有爵士!”
"Have pity, your Excellency!"
“可憐可憐吧,尊敬的閣下!”
On hearing himself addressed as your Excellency, the Director of the Marionette Theater sat up very straight in his chair,
木偶戲班班主—聽見叫他閣下,馬上在椅子上坐直了身體,
stroked his long beard, and becoming suddenly kind and compassionate, smiled proudly as he said to Pinocchio:
輕捋他的長胡須,突然變得慈祥溫和起來,對皮諾喬得意地笑著說:
"Well, what do you want from me now, Marionette?"
“好吧,你到底求我什么事,皮諾喬?”
"I beg for mercy for my poor friend, Harlequin, who has never done the least harm in his life."
“我求您開開恩,放了可憐的花衣小丑!他從沒做過什么傷天害理的事。”
"There is no mercy here, Pinocchio. I have spared you. Harlequin must burn in your place.
“這可開不得恩,皮諾喬,我赦免了你就得燒他。
I am hungry and my dinner must be cooked."
我餓了,晚餐一定得做好。”
"In that case," said Pinocchio proudly, as he stood up and flung away his cap of dough, "in that case, my duty is clear.
“那么,”皮諾喬大叫一聲,站了起來,扔掉頭上的面包心帽子,“那么,我知道該怎么做了。
Come, officers! Tie me up and throw me on those flames.
來吧,守衛先生們!把我捆起來扔到火里去。
No, it is not fair for poor Harlequin, the best friend that I have in the world, to die in my place!"
不行,讓這世上我最好的朋友替我去死,這對可憐的花衣小丑不公平!”
These brave words, said in a piercing voice, made all the other Marionettes cry.
這番話說得慷慨激昂,聲調豪邁激昂,在場的木偶聽了沒有不哭的。
Even the officers, who were made of wood also, cried like two babies.
連兩個守衛,雖然也是木頭做的,也哭得像嚎啕的嬰兒。
Fire Eater at first remained hard and cold as a piece of ice;
吃火人起先一點也不動心,冷得像塊冰;
but then, little by little, he softened and began to sneeze.
可后來,他又慢慢地、一點一點地開始感動了,又打噴嚏了。
And after four or five sneezes, he opened wide his arms and said to Pinocchio:
一口氣打了四五個噴嚏之后,他對皮諾喬張開懷抱說:
"You are a brave boy! Come to my arms and kiss me!"
“你是個好小子!過來,給我一個吻。”
Pinocchio ran to him and scurrying like a squirrel up the long black beard,
皮諾喬馬上跑過去,像只松鼠似地順著木偶戲班班主的大胡子往上爬,
he gave Fire Eater a loving kiss on the tip of his nose.
爬到上面,在他鼻尖上給了他一個最甜最甜的吻。
"Has pardon been granted to me?" asked poor Harlequin with a voice that was hardly a breath.
“那么,您開恩啦?”可憐的花衣小丑問道,聲音細得好不容易才聽見。
"Pardon is yours!" answered Fire Eater; and sighing and wagging his head, he added:
“開恩了!”吃火人回答說;接著他嘆口氣,搖搖頭說:
"Well, tonight I shall have to eat my lamb only half cooked, but beware the next time, Marionettes. "
“沒法子!今兒晚上我只能吃半生不熟的羊肉了。可下一回你就得當心啦,皮諾喬。”
At the news that pardon had been given, the Marionettes ran to the stage and,
一聽說開了恩,所有的木偶都跑上了戲臺,像開盛大晚會那樣,
turning on all the lights, they danced and sang till dawn.
點亮了所有的燈和燭臺,開始又跳又舞。他們就這樣一直跳啊舞啊的直到大天亮。