Maxine Hong Kingston: You know what comes to mind is why all this about Obama not being an American?
瑪克辛:你們知道我想到奧巴馬為什么不是一個美國人?
Born in Hawaii and still all I can think of is there are some people who do not feel that Hawaii is part of America.
出生在夏威夷并且我能想到,有些人覺得夏威夷不是美國的一部分。
They don't know that it's another state.
他們不知道那也是一個州。
Having lived in Hawaii for a long time, I am so happy to see people from all over, everywhere,
生活在夏威夷很長時間后,我很開心看見來自五湖四海的人,各個地方,
and all the languages and everybody intermarrying.
各種語言還有國際婚姻。
And I felt that Obama coming from such a place and also he and his father and mother having migrated so many places all over the world.
我感覺奧巴馬來自這樣一個地方,他和他的父母遷移過世界上許多地方。
I mean going to Latin America and Africa and throughout the Pacific.
我是說去拉丁美洲,非洲和穿越太平洋。
To see people being born out of those islands and there are so many voices denying that
出生于那些島嶼的人們有許多聲音否定,
we have any such place as Hawaii in this world or in America.
在這個世界或說在美國有一個像夏威夷的地方。
I find that discourse to be very uncivilized.
我覺得這個話題會非常未開化的。
Jim Carroll: Thank you, I'm going to, in the interest of moving the conversation.
吉姆:謝謝你,在移動的談話興趣中,
I'm going to ask you, Gish, to offer a comment on that question.
我想請任來對此問題闡述自己的觀點。