Interest in computers was cultivated in middle school
中學時候就對計算機興趣濃厚
Were other of your contemporaries equally interested in the business,
你周圍的同齡人也同樣對商業感興趣嗎?
or did you find yourself unusual among the groups?
還是你與眾不同?
Well,when I went to Lakeside School, I was about 12 years old.
嗯,我12歲的時候進入湖濱中學學習。
I started there in seventh grade.
我從七年級開始讀。
That was kind of a change for me.
那對我來說是一個新的環境。
It is a private boys’ school. Very strict.
湖濱中學是一所私立男校,管理非常嚴格。
At first I really didn’t like the environment.
開始的時候,我真的不喜歡那種環境。
I did eventually find some friends there,
后來,我交到了一群好朋友,
some of who had the same sort of interest, like reading business magazines and Fortune.
其中的一些跟我有同樣的愛好,比如閱讀商業雜志或者《財富》。
We were always creating funny company names and having people send us their product literature.
我們經常起一些有趣的公司名字,讓別人給我們發他們的產品資料。
Trying to think about how business worked.
我們總是思考商業是如何運行的。
And in particular, looking at computer companies and what was going on with them.
而且特別關注一些電腦公司的發展經營狀況。
What companies, in particular, did you like to follow?
你們會特別關注哪些公司?
The first computer we used was a GE time-sharing system.
我們用的第一臺電腦采用的是GE分時系統。
It was connected over a phone line.
它通過一條電話線連接。
Actually, the school couldn’t afford a full phone line,
事實上,學校并不能給我們提供一根獨立的電話線,
so someone in the offices had a switch where you could take over the phone line.
因此,需要在辦公室里通過終端機轉換。
It was an ASR-33 Teletype with paper tape connected up to a GE computer.
那是一臺ASR-33型號的終端機,通過紙帶接到一臺GE電腦上。
But, very quickly,we found out about PDP-8s, and eventually got one loaned to us.
但是,很快我們發現了PDP-8S,并最終租到了一臺。
And then eventually, Data General Nova got loaned to us.
最終我們租用了通用數據公司的新星開發操作系統。
So, it these companies making smaller computers that were very fascinating to us.
所以,主要是這些制造小型計算機的公司吸引我們。
Joining all the user groups.
我們加入到使用者的行列中。
DEC had one called the DECUS User Group.
DEC有一個叫DECUS的用戶群。
Getting on every mailing list.
把自己的電子郵件地址加入到他們的電郵數據庫中,
In Datamation they had these bingo cards where you could check everything you were interested in.
他們會通過數據庫自動發送各種賓戈卡片,你可以由此找到自己感興趣的東西。
So, we just put our name down and checked everything in there,
因此,我們填上姓名,選擇全部選項,
and tried to learn about the world of computing.
我們想了解整個計算機世界。
How did the faculty respond to your interest outside of your curriculum compared to your interest in your own studies?
相比你的學習生活而言,老師們對你的課余愛好怎么看?
Well, I was relieved from some classes,
嗯,有一些課我可以不去上,
Math in particular, because I’d read ahead.
尤其是數學,因為我之前已經會了。
So, I had quite a bit of free time.
所以我有很多時間可以自己支配。
When the Mother’s Club which did this rummage sale,
當母親倶樂部通過義賣籌集到錢,
got the money for this Teletype and a certain amount of time to buy computer time,
來支付終端機和電腦使用時間的費用時,
it was a question of who was going to figure this thing out?
這時出現問題該由誰來解決呢?