In a technical sense, what does Linux lack?
從技術角度分析,什么是Linux系統所沒有的?
What does it not provide?
有什么是它所不能提供的?
The 64-bit file system,which I know they are working on.
64位文件系統。我知道他們正在開發。
It’s slowly coming around.
不久就會問世。
I think there are still occasionally some stability issues.
我覺得,偶爾還是會有一些穩定性方面的問題。
I’m not saying Linux is unique in that respect, but you definitely want to have reliability
我并不是說Linux在這一方面特立獨行,但是人們也很看重可靠性。
There are some issues dealing with higher memory systems.
有一些處理高端記憶系統的問題。
If you get to 2GB, and you try to push it past that, we encounter various problems.
如果達到2G,并且還想超越的話,我們會遇到各種問題。
I know we’ve had some trouble with the network stack when we really push it hard.
我知道驅動力過大的時候,我們遇到過一些網絡問題。
In terms of having lost most connections from lots of different machines.
與很多不同的機器失去了聯系。
Well, you’re getting quite a few hits per day, aren’t you?
嗯,你們現在每天的點擊率都非常高,不是嗎?
Yes, we are.
是的,非常高。
We do about ten millions searches per day at Google.com.
谷歌網站每天接受大約1000萬次的搜索。
And another six million or so from OEM customers.
同時,其他簽約客戶帶來大約600萬次的點擊率。
So,we get a lot of hits.
因此,我們的點擊率很高。
And when we crawl the Web, we crawl it pretty quickly, which can really stress the system.
而當我們檢索網頁的時候,速度很快,這也給系統帶來了很大壓力。
Has your system been down entirely?
你們的系統有過完全癱瘓的時候嗎?
No, but we certainly have individual computers go down.
沒有,但是我們遇到過完全癱瘓的個人電腦。
Our system has a lot of redundancy built into it, so the users don’t see it from the outside.
我們的系統存在許多備用空間,用戶從外表是看不出來的。
I‘ve read that you have developed your own network installation tools...
我聽說你們開發了自己的網絡安裝工具?
Yeah. We’ve re-used various components of things that people have built;
是的。我們重新利用了他人已經創造的很多元素;
we’ve had to now re-do them quite a bit ourselves.
我們要做的是把它們重新做成屬于我們自己的東西。
We have 5,000 computers now, and that’s actually a fair amount of work to install.
我們現在有5000臺計算機,而實際上有大量的安裝工作要做。
So we have our own network install system--where we can bring up 80 computers at a time.
因此,我們有自己的網絡安裝系統——一次可以安裝多達80臺電腦。
And we have our own testing software and monitoring tools to keep track of what the computers are doing, what state they’re in.
同時我們也有自己的檢測軟件和監測工具,以了解計算機的工作進程和狀態。
So, we’ve had to do a fair amount of development.
因此,我們需要進行一系列的開發工作。
Of the 5,000 computers used by Google, can you roughly breakdown what they are used for,
能給我們講一下谷歌5000臺計算機的具體分工嗎?
i.e., 3000 perform searches, 1000 do OEMs, 500 do web crawling, etc.?
比如,其中3000臺做搜索,1000臺用于對外簽約授權,500臺做網頁檢查等等?
Without giving specific numbers,
先不談具體數字,
we can say approximately 80% of the machines are used for performing searches (google.com and partners);
我們大約80%的機器用于搜索(谷歌主頁與合作網站);
about 10% of the machines are used for Research and Development,
大約10%用于研發,
and another 10% of the machines are used for preproduction (crawling and indexing the web).
另外的10%用于試生產(網頁檢測和索引)。
Are the tools worth releasing to the Open Source community?
這些工具值得向開源社區發布嗎?
That’s an interesting question.
這個問題很有趣。
I mean, I don’t know of too many installations that are of comparable size to ours,
我是說,我知道的安裝程序里,沒有幾個可以和我們的產品相提并論的,
but it certainly is, now that you mention it, something we would consider.
但是當然,現在你提到的有些東西是我們應該考慮的問題。
I don’t think that any of them are robust enough or clean enough at this point and time.
我認為此時此刻沒有什么工具是足夠強大或是從未被使用過的。
But, I think we can get them to that state if other people would take over the maintenance and contribute.
但是,如果有其他人愿意接管維護工作并作出貢獻,我們愿意提供幫助。
I just don’t think that there are too many people who would end up using them.
我只是認為最后不會有多少人會使用它們。