Microsoft Is Moving Forward
微軟一路向前
Bill, what led to your decision to build your own site, your own corporate campus?
比爾,是什么使你決定建立你自己的網站及你自己的公司呢?
Well, I was always thinking that environment that we did product development in should be a fun environment,
嗯,我們生產產品的環境應該是一個很有趣的環境,
a lot like a college campus.
像大學校園一樣。
And this idea of using small teams means you want to give them all the tools, all the computers,
用一個小團隊來工作的概念就意味著你要給他們所有的工具、所有的計算機、
an individual office, whatever it takes
一間個人辦公室和他們需要的任何東西,
so that they feel like they can concentrate on their jobs and be very creative.
這樣他們才能感覺到自己可以集中精力在工作上并且富有創造性。
And, in the Northwest, having a lot of trees around,you know,
你知道,在西北地區樹林環繞,
one, two, and three story buildings where offices are very good sized.
一、二、三 層樓房內的辦公室空間很棒。
That made sense to me.
我覺得不錯。
And we had been looking ever since we moved up to Seattle
自從我們搬到了西雅圖之后,
for a piece of land that wasn’t too far away and yet that would let us grow as a company.
就一直在尋找一塊離市區不遠卻可以讓我們成長為一個公司的地方。
And in 1986 we actually got to move into our corporate campus.
1986年,我們搬進了我們的公司園區。
This kind of shows you one of the buildings here.
類似于現在你看到的其中一個樓房。
Initially, there were four buildings like this clustered around the lake you see here,
起初,我們有4個環湖辦公樓,
and each of the main Development groups each got their own building.
每一個主要開發團隊都 有自己的辦公樓。
And that meant that we really had the best of all worlds.
那意味著我們有世界 上最好的一切。
People felt that it was a fun environment,
大家都覺得那是一個有趣的環境,
but yet we were really close to each other as far as working together.
我們在一起工作,彼此感情很好。
Things like people juggling or riding unicycles around, having barbecues outside,
外邊有雜耍和獨輪車表演,人們在室外燒烤,
having company meetings where everybody would stand around.
所有人站成一圈開公司會議。
This was the original ground breaking.
這是一種全新的嘗試。
And these are two of the developers,
這是其中兩位開發者,
but here we see Jon Shirley who started with the company in 1983.
喬雪莉1983年開始在公司工作。
He came from Radio Shack and played a very critical role,
他之前在Radio Shack公司擔任重要職位,
because, although I had Steve Ballmer helping me think through business issues,
盡管我讓史蒂夫鮑爾默幫我處理一些商務問題,
and a lot of other people like Kazuhiko Nishi on the product side, or Paul Alien,
還有很多其他的人比如彥西和保羅艾倫分管產品,
it was Jon who helped us really grow,
但是喬真正地做到了讓公司壯大,
what kind of systems did we have to have in place.
他知道我們在什么位置需要怎樣的系統。
And Jon had been my good friend when he worked at Radio Shack,
喬在Radio Shack公司工作的時候就是我的好朋友,
so we were excited to have him come on board.
所以我們很高興他能加入。
Actually, he was the second president of Microsoft.
事實上,他是微軟的第二任總裁。
We hired another gentlemen
之前我們聘請了另外一位紳士,
who was with us for a little less than a year where it wasn’t a good match.
他感覺這里不合適,在公司待了不到一年。
A gentlemen from Tektronix.
他來自Tektronix公司。
And then brought in Jon after that.
之后喬就入職了。
There was a week in 1986 that was pretty exciting
1986年的那個星期,我們都非常興奮,
because that was the week we moved into the campus.
因為那一星期我們搬進了校園。
But that same week we moved in, we went public as a company,
也就在同一周,我們正式宣布公司成立,
this is our offering prospectus.
這是我們的招股說明。
And that was also the week of Microsoft’s first CD-ROM Conference
同時,那一周我們召開了微軟的第一次CD-ROM會議,
where we were pushing the idea of multimedia back in 1986 that didn’t really catch on,
我們把多媒體的概念推回到1986年,那時并沒有真正地流行起來,
you could say,until 1994 so before it was in the mainstream.
可以說,直到1994年之前都是主流之一。
But this kind of shows you the pace of activity at that time.
但是你可以看到那時活動的速度。
We felt fine to have all those things happen all at once.
所有事情都來得很快,我們覺得很好。
And I know that next Monday I flew down to Australia to be part of a big software show down there.
并且我知道,下個星期一我要飛到澳大利亞去參加一個大型的軟件展覽會。