We can't have a Chinese victory, can we?
我們不能讓中式學校獲勝,對嗎
Good Lord, no.
天啊,當然不能
That would be setting us back into the Dark Ages.
不然我們就要被遣返回黑暗時代了
Having spoken to a few students today, I don't think we need to worry too much.
今天我跟幾個學生交流過,我覺得我們沒必要太擔心
No? I'm not sure.
是嗎,這可未必
I spoke to a few who were like, "Well, I've got it all written down."
有幾個學生這么跟我說的,"好吧,我全寫下來了"
I was like, "Well, do you understand it?"
我問,"那你都理解了嗎"
And they were like, "Well, I've just got to learn it."
然后他們說,"我剛要去研究琢磨"
Well, let's see. Is it more revision stuff now?
我們還是先看看吧,現在是不是都在復習了
I don't know, let's find out.
不知道,我們來了解一下

With the exams looming, Mr Strowger and his head of school, Stuart Vaughan,
在考試臨近之際,史端喬主任和斯圖爾特·沃恩校長
check in on the Chinese school.
來到中式學校視察
Go and talk to the lads at the back.
去跟后面的幾個男生聊聊
Hello, gents. Talk me through how you're doing.
同學們,你們好。跟我說說學得怎么樣了
No, it's the one they know.
不行,這個他們知道的
Right, are we working hard over here, I see?
我看你們還挺認真的嘛
Some of the students are doing really well,
有一些學生表現得非常好
and they are the ones that are, sort of, very keen and motivated.
他們都是那種對學習有熱情和積極主動的學生
but one wonders whether these students wouldn't be, sort of, self-motivated whatever the context.
但是問題是這些學生能不能在任何環境中都如此積極與熱情
It's going to be a numbers game.
這就像是在玩博彩
We'll see what the majority do in the test.
到時我們就能看到大部分學生在考試中的表現了
Hello! Hello. Hello.
大家好。你們好,你們好
Hi, nice to see you. How are you? Fine.
很高興見到你們,你好嗎。我很好
Is it all right if I sit down?
我可以坐下來嗎
Yes... Yeah, please. Please do.
當然,請坐
I've heard some students in there that are feeling quite confident with their maths.
我剛在教室里聽幾個學生說,他們對數學非常有信心
Really? Oh, yeah. I'm glad to hear that.
真的嗎,沒錯,聽到這個我很高興
I'm not sure I'm very glad to hear that.
然而我不知道是不是該高興
I'm a little bit worried. Are we? Are we?
我還有點擔心呢。我們有擔心嗎,有嗎
If you win, we have to employ you for the next ten years. No.
如果你們贏了,我們就得雇你在這教十年書。不會的
I don't think it's going to happen. No?
我覺得不會,不會嗎
Actually, I don't have a lot of confidence in them.
實際上我對他們并不是非常有信心
You don't have a lot of confidence? Interesting. I'll tell you something.
你對他們沒信心嗎,有意思。我跟你講
I have come up with one thing that is going to, you know, comfort me should you win.
如果你們贏了,我想到一件事可以安慰自己
Well, win... Should your students do better.
我是說,假如你們的學生成績更好的話
And that is, that we have a great excuse to make a lot of savings in the budget.
這件事就是,我們可以有借口來節約學校的開支了
And we will get rid of a lot of teachers
我們會把大部分老師都開除了
and we'll put everyone in the sports hall with one teacher to just talk all day
然后把大家集中在體育館里,聽一個老師講一整天
and we'll get great results for a lot less money.
這樣我們不用花太多錢也能取得好成績
Talking to the teachers, I'm feeling much better
跟老師們談過話后,我感覺好了一些
because they are not at all confident about the tests.
因為他們對考試并不是信心十足
So, that's good news.
所以,這是好消息
I think if, actually, the Chinese approach yields the better results,
不過,如果中式教學法真的取得了更好的成績
we are going to have to have a really long hard look at what we're doing and what we believe in.
我們就得好好回顧并檢討一下我們所堅持的教學方式了
Perhaps we are failing children still, if they're doing better through a different method.
如果學生們用另一種學習方式成績更好的話,我們現在用的方法也許對不住這些孩子