So the shorthand is five parents of four children in three states.
五位父母,生了四個孩子,生活在三個不同的州。
And there are people who think that the existence of my family somehow undermines or weakens or damages their family.
當然有些人會認為,這樣的家庭的存在,在某種程度上破壞或削弱,甚至損害了他們的家庭。
And there are people who think that families like mine shouldn't be allowed to exist.
也有些人認為像我們這樣的家庭不應該被允許存在。
And I don't accept subtractive models of love, only additive ones.
我不接受消減中的愛,只求遞增的愛。
And I believe that in the same way that we need species diversity to ensure that the planet can go on,
同時我也相信,我們需要物種的多樣性來確保地球可以延續下去,
so we need this diversity of affection and diversity of family in order to strengthen the ecosphere of kindness.
因此,我們需要這種多樣化的感情和家庭來強化仁慈的生物圈。
The day after our son was born,
在我們兒子出生后的第二天,
the pediatrician came into the hospital room and said she was concerned.
兒科醫生走進病房說,她很擔心。
He wasn't extending his legs appropriately.
他沒有適當地伸展他的雙腿。
She said that might mean that he had brain damage.
她說這可能意味著他有腦損傷。
In so far as he was extending them, he was doing so asymmetrically,
當他伸腿時,又很不對稱,
which she thought could mean that there was a tumor of some kind in action.
她以為這可能意味著有某種類型的腫瘤。
And he had a very large head, which she thought might indicate hydrocephalus.
他的頭非常大,她認為這可能意味著他有腦積水。
And as she told me all of these things,
當她告訴我這些事情的時候,
I felt the very center of my being pouring out onto the floor.
我覺得我的身體要倒下去似的。
And I thought, here I had been working for years on a book about how much meaning people had found in the experience of parenting children who are disabled,
我想,我花很多年寫的書,關于人們養育殘疾子女的經驗給他們帶來了怎樣的意義,
and I didn't want to join their number.
但我還是不想加入他們,
Because what I was encountering was an idea of illness.
我想到的是疾病。
And like all parents since the dawn of time,
就像所有的父母那樣,從孩子出生那刻起,
I wanted to protect my child from illness.
我想要我的孩子健康。
And I wanted also to protect myself from illness.
同時我也想自己遠離疾病。