Friends ask me, Well, if a black hole is black how can you see it?
朋友們問我 那個 如果黑洞是黑的 你要怎么看到它呢
And I say, Have you ever been to a ball?
于是我就說 你總該去過舞會的吧
Have you ever watched the young men dressed in their black evening tuxedos
舞會上那些 穿著黑色燕尾服的年輕男子
and the girls in their white dresses whirling around, held in each other's arms
和著白色禮服的姑娘們 手拉著手轉圈
and the lights turned low and all you can see is the girls?
當燈光暗下來后 你就只能看到姑娘們了
Well, the girl is the ordinary star and the boy is the black hole.
打個比方 如果一個女孩子是一顆普通的恒星 而男子是一個黑洞
You can't see the black hole any more than you can see the boy
盡管你不能看到男子 正如你無法看到黑洞
but the girl going around gives you convincing evidence
但那個轉著圈的姑娘能讓你確信
there must be something there holding her in orbit.
一定另有什么拉著她轉圈
One evening, shortly after the birth of my daughter, Lucy
有天晚上 我的女兒露西剛出生不久
I started to think about black holes as I was getting into bed.
上床之前 我開始思考黑洞
My disability makes this rather a slow process so I had plenty of time.
我的身體缺陷讓上床這一過程十分緩慢 所以我有的是時間
Suddenly I realized that the area of the event horizon must always increase with time.
突然之間 我意識到事件視界的面積 必須隨著時間的流逝而增大
The increase in the area of the event horizon was very reminiscent of a quantity called entropy
視界面積的增大 很容易讓人聯想到一個叫做熵的物理量
which measures the degree of disorder of a system.
它用來度量一個系統的混亂程度
It is a matter of common experience that disorder tends to increase with time if things are left to themselves.
這其實是一種常識 如果你把一些東西放任不管 它們會傾向于變得無序