Jacob Bekenstein came into the office one day.
有天 雅各布·貝肯斯坦走進辦公室
Jacob, I said...lt always troubles me when I put a hot teacup next to a cold teacup.
雅各布啊 我說 有件事我總是想不清楚 當我把一杯熱茶放在一杯涼茶邊上時
I've increased, by letting heat flow from one to the other the amount of disorder in the universe.
通過讓熱量從一個杯子轉移到另一個上 我增大了宇宙的混亂度
But Jacob, if a black hole swims by and I drop both teacups into this
但是 雅各布 如果一個黑洞恰好經過 這時候我把兩杯茶都扔進去
I've concealed the evidence of my crime, have I not?
我豈不是就隱藏了我讓熵增大的證據 是嗎
Bekenstein's a man of great integrity and he looked troubled, and he came back to me later
貝肯斯坦是個十分嚴謹的人 他當時看起來很疑惑 不過一會兒他就回來了
and he said, No, you have not concealed the evidence of your crime.
不 你沒有 他開口說 這樣并不能掩飾你之前的所作所為
The black hole records what's happened to you.
黑洞會記錄下你行為的痕跡"
Stephen Hawking read the paper in which Bekenstein announced this result
史蒂芬·霍金讀了 貝肯斯坦在其中聲明了這個結論的論文之后
Thought it was preposterous and decided to prove it was wrong.
覺得它太荒謬了 他決定要證明它是錯的
My discoveries led Jacob Bekenstein to suggest that the area of the event horizon
我的發現讓雅各布·貝肯斯坦做了如下假設 事件視界的面積
actually was the entropy of a black hole.But there was one fatal flaw.
實際上就是一個黑洞的熵 但是 這個假設有一個致命的缺陷
In Bekenstein's idea:If black holes have an entropy they ought to have a temperature.
在貝肯斯坦看來 如果黑洞有熵 那么它們就得有溫度
And if they have a temperature they ought to give off radiation.
而如果黑洞有溫度 那么他們就有輻射
But how could they give off radiation if nothing can escape from a black hole?
可是 既然任何東西都不能逃離黑洞 為什么黑洞會有輻射呢
As it turned out Bekenstein was basically correct
不過最后證明 貝肯斯坦基本上是正確的
though in a manner far more surprising than he or anyone else had expected.
但卻是以一種讓人驚異的方式 這方式超出任何人 包括他本人 的意料之外