As he gradually lost the use of his hands
當他的雙手慢慢失去運動能力時
he had to start developing carefully choosing research projects
他不得不開始 精心挑選研究項目
that could be tackled and solved
那些只需要在腦袋里進行幾何運算
through geometrical arguments that he could do pictorially in his head.
就能處理好的項目
And he developed a very powerful set of tools nobody else really had.
此外 他還發展了一套非常強力的工具 其他任何人都不曾有過
So in some sense, when you lose one set of tools
在某種程度上 當你失去一套工具時
you may develop other tools, but the new tools
你能發展出另一套工具 不過新的工具
are amenable to different kinds of problems than the old tools.
能解決的難題是和之前那套工具不同的
And if you're the only master in the world of these new tools
而如果世上掌握這套工具的人只有你一個
that means certain kinds of problems you can solve and nobody else can.
那么有些問題只有你能解決 其他人都無能為力
My work up to 1973 was in general relativity
直到1973年 我的工作都在廣義相對論的范疇內
and was summarized in a book I wrote with George Ellis called
它們被總結在一本我與喬治·埃利斯合著的書中
The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time.
大尺度下的時空結構
Even then, it was difficult for me to write things down
那時候 書寫對我而言已經很艱難了
so I tended to think in pictures and diagrams
所以我更傾向于以圖形和圖表的形式
that I could visualize in my head.
在腦海中進行思