We had this meeting at the Institute of Space Physics in New York.
我們在紐約的空間物理研究院 召開了一次會議
I said, "Before we reach a final conclusion.
我說 "在我們得到最終結果前"
we ought to throw into the pot still another object a gravitationally completely collapsed object.
"我們得把另一樣東西扔進" 這個大熔爐" 一個因重力而完全坍縮的物體
Well, after you've used the phrase.a gravitationally completely collapsed object ten times.
當你使用了這么一個說法 一個因重力而完全坍縮的物體" 十遍之后
you conclude you've got to get a better name.
你會意識到最好給它起個名字
So that's when I switched to the word "black hole."
正是那時候我想到了這么一個詞 "黑洞"
The word "black hole," which John Wheeler coined, suddenly caught on.
"黑洞" 這個約翰·惠勒靈光一閃想到的詞 應運而生
Everybody adopted it, and from then on people around the world in Moscow in America.
從此以后 每個人都接受了它 全世界所有的人 不論身處莫斯科 美國
in England and elsewhere could know they were speaking about the same thing.
英國 還是什么地方 都知道了他們一直以來談論的都是同一個東西
And not only that, but suddenly the whole range of concepts got through to the general public
情況遠不止如此 突然之間 所有這些奇思妙想都傳達給了公眾
and even science-fiction writers all of a sudden could talk about it.
而且科幻小說家們一下子都能談論 有關黑洞的一切
Tonight, my friends we stand on the brink of a feat unparalleled in space exploration.
今晚 我的朋友們 我們一同站在宇宙探索中 一個無與倫比的勝利旁
If the data on my returning probe ship matches my computerized calculations.
如果我的穿梭機所取回的數據 與理論計算結果相符
I will travel where no man has dared to go.
我就要親身探索從未有人膽敢到達的地方
Into the black hole?In through and beyond.Why, that's crazy!Ha! Impossible!
進入黑洞嗎 進入 穿過 一路向前 為什么 這太瘋狂了 這不可能