Stephen was already ill. Jane knew it.
史蒂芬那時已經確診 簡也清楚地知道
And it was another instance of Stephen's luck, you know
這是史蒂芬又一個幸運之處
meeting the right person at the right time.
在對的時間遇見對的人
because Stephen was very, very badly depressed,
你想想 史蒂芬那時無比沮喪
and he wasn't very much inclined to go on with his work.
并不怎么情愿繼續他的工作
He'd been told he's only got 2 and a half years.What can you do in that time?
他被告知生命只剩兩年半的時間 在那種境況下你能做什么
But meeting Jane really put him on his mettle and he started to work.
然而與簡的相遇給他注入了勇氣 接下來 他又開始了工作
I wanted to understand how the universe began.
我曾想探尋 宇宙是如何起源的
Einstein's theory of general relativity showed that the universe was expanding.
愛因斯坦的廣義相對論 表明宇宙正在膨脹
But there was no answer to the crucial question
但并沒有一個答案來直接回答最關鍵的問題
"Must there have been a Big Bang a beginning to time?"
"一定要有一個大爆炸 來開啟時間的進程嗎"
Then, in my third year at Cambridge Roger Penrose made his discovery about the death of stars.
然后 當我在劍橋上三年級時 羅杰·彭羅斯有了關于 恒星死亡的發現
I remember talking to this friend, Ivor Robinson and we were having this animated conversation.
我記得和一位朋友 艾弗·羅賓遜的討論 那次討論真是一場思想的碰撞
and then we had to cross a road and as we crossed the road, of course, the conversation stopped and then we got to the other side.
后來我們得過一條馬路 當然 我們過馬路的時候 談話中斷了 然后我們到了路的另一邊
Evidently, I had some idea crossing the road but then the conversation started up,and it got completely blotted out of my mind.
很碰巧的是 我在過馬路的時候想出一個點子 但接下來我們了撿起之前的話題 那個點子就從我腦子里不翼而飛了
It was only later, after my friend had gone home and I began to have this strange feeling of elation feeling wonderful.
直到晚些時候 在朋友回家之后 我突然感到一陣奇妙的興奮 那感覺妙極了
And I couldn't figure out why I should feel like that,so I went back over the day.
我不知道自己當時為何那樣 于是我向前梳理這一天的思緒
thinking all possible things which might have contributed to such a feeling.
回想究竟是什么事情 讓我產生了這種感覺
and then gradually I unearthed this thought which I'd had while crossing the street.
后來我慢慢挖掘出這個想法 就是在大街上的那個