Why is my verse so barren of new pride,
我的詩何以這樣缺乏新鮮花樣,
So far from variation or quick change?
這樣缺乏變化或敏捷的才思?
Why with the time do I not glance aside,
我對時髦作風何以不加模仿,
To new-found methods, and to compounds strange?
使用新奇筆調或詭異的復合名詞?
Why write I still all one, ever the same,
我為什么寫法總是千篇一律,
And keep invention in a noted weed,
有所創作總是穿著陳舊衣裳,
That every word doth almost tell my name,
每個字幾乎可以宣示我的名字,
Showing their, birth, and where they did proceed?
露出身份以及來自何方?
O know, sweet love, I always write of you,
你要知道,愛人,我寫的永遠是你,
And you and love are still my argument,
你與愛永遠是我的題材;
So all my best is dressing old words new,
我擅長的是把舊詞變成新的,
Spending again what is already spent:
已經用過的不妨再用一回:
For as the sun is daily new and old,
太陽每日出沒,新舊遞嬗,
So is my love still telling what is told.
我的愛也永遠是老調重彈。