That you were once unkind befriends me now,
你對我狠過心反而于我有利:
And for that sorrow which I then did feel,
想起你當時使我受到的痛創,
Needs must I under my transgression bow,
我只好在我的過失下把頭低,
Unless my nerves were brass or hammer'd steel.
既然我的神經不是銅或精鋼。
For if you were by my unkindness shaken,
因為,你若受過我狠心的搖撼,
As I by yours, you've pass'd a hell of time,
像我所受的,該熬過多苦的日子!
And I, a tyrant, have no leisure taken,
可是我這暴君從沒有抽過閑,
To weigh how once I suffered in your crime.
來衡量你的罪行對我的打擊!
O, that our night of woe might have remember'd,
哦,但愿我們那悲怛之夜能使我,
My deepest sense, how hard true sorrow hits,
牢牢記住真悲哀打擊得多慘,
And soon to you, as you to me, then tender'd,
我就會立刻遞給你,像你遞給我,
The humble salve which wounded bosoms fits!
那撫慰碎了的心的微賤藥丹。
But that your trespass now becomes a fee;
但你的罪行現在變成了保證,
Mine ransoms yours, and yours must ransom me.
我贖你的罪,你也贖我的敗行。