It's halfway through the first week,
第一周已經過半
and Bohunt head teacher Neil Strowger is making his first visit to the Chinese school,
博航特的校長尼爾·史端喬首次前來中式學校進行視察
to find out how the teachers are getting on.
看看老師們取得了怎樣的教學成果
I hope you can call me in Chinese way...
我希望你們能用中文稱呼我
Zhao Wei has the tough task of teaching Chinese to a bunch of complete beginners.
要教一群毫無基礎的初學者學習中文,趙維的任務十分嚴峻
OK, everybody...
好了,大家跟我念
So later...
待會兒...
She's worked in London as well as 14 years in China,
她在中英兩國都工作過十四年
so, unlike some of her colleagues,
因此和其他老師不同
she knows the differences between British and Chinese kids.
她知道中英兩國孩子的區別在哪
Well, talk to me about how you're finding the behaviour and the discipline.
跟我說說你是如何看待他們的表現和課堂紀律的
I think the behaviour...
我覺得他們的表現...
I find some, I think around five to six of them,
我發現大概有五六個學生
a little bit, you know, naughty, noisy, in fact noisy.
有點調皮搗蛋,吵鬧,其實是吵鬧
I said, "You need to... stay with me after the lesson."
我說"你下課后給我留下來"
"What did I do? He kicked me!"
他會說"我怎么了,是他先踢我的"
Like this, just keep arguing back and he...he keep making excuse.
像這樣跟我頂嘴,他會不停地找借口
So you're used to them just...
所以你已經習慣他們
In your normal classroom, there's no noise.
在你原來的教室里,沒有一點吵鬧聲
If you're talking, it's silence or...?
在你講課時,是很安靜呢,還是
I think because we try to instil them in China from very beginning,
我想是因為在中國,我們從小就這樣教育他們
sit still, stand still, you know, straight, don't do this, don't do that.
坐直,站直,你知道的,不許做這個,不許做那個
Yeah, but in your experience they'll just,
是的,但是就你的經驗來說
they'll just accept it because that's what they've been conditioned to accept.
他們之所以能接受這樣,是因為他們已經習慣于接受這種方式
I think we just say... I mean, I speak for myself,
我們倒是覺得,就我個人而言
encourage the children to do well at school,
鼓勵學生們在學校中努力學習
say that it's important and they'll have more choices.
這點很重要,這樣能讓他們在未來有更多的選擇
Yeah, even if they don't work they can get money and they don't worry about it,
沒錯,即使將來他們不工作也可以領錢,他們不需要為生活擔憂
but, you know, in China you can't get these things,
但是,在中國,沒有不勞而獲
so they know, ok, I need to study hard,
所以他們知道,我一定要努力學習
I need to work hard in order to get money to support my family.
我需要努力學習,才可以賺錢養家
Makes people think, this is my ticket to get a better life.
會讓大家都認為,這是我獲得美好生活的機會
Yeah. OK.
是的。好的
I agree, totally agree.
沒錯,就是這樣
For example, now I think that the British Government try to cut benefit down.
比如說,現在英國政府正在試圖削減福利
If they really cut the benefit down, force people to go to work,
如果他們真的減少了福利,強迫大家都去工作的話
they might see things in different way.
他們看待事物的方式也許就會不一樣了
If I get better education, I get better, you know, I might be able to get this.
如果我獲得更好的教育,競爭力會更強,我也許就能得到這些
No, I understand your argument.
是的,我明白你的意思
It would be a very brave government in the UK that took that approach.
如果英國政府真的采取那個政策的話,那一定會是個很大膽的決策
Yeah, because you have already...
是的,因為你們已經...
Lovely to talk to you...Thank you.
很高興能和你交流。謝謝
And I'll see you again. See you.
再見,再見
Bye.
拜拜
I don't believe that we are somehow causing our children to fail by having a welfare state,
我不認為我們國家的福利是導致我們的孩子失敗的原因
but it might be true that we don't have the absolute driver that the Chinese have to be successful.
但也許,我們確實不像中國那樣有讓孩子們努力奮斗成功的絕對動力