Day two - and the students of the Chinese school are finally out of the classroom.
第二天,中式學校里的孩子們終于走到了戶外
In Britain, PE is often a chance to let off steam and have some fun.
在英國,體育課通常是釋放壓力,輕松玩樂的機會
At just two hours of compulsory PE a week,
體育課只是每周兩小時的必修課
it's a small part of the curriculum.
這是占比重很小的一門課
In Chinese schools, things are a bit different.
在中式學校里,情況有所不同
And one line for girls and the boys in one line, yeah.
女孩站一列,男孩站一列
In the 1990s, the Communist government of China decided
在九十年代,中國共產黨政府決定
that physical exercise would become central to the national examination system.
體育鍛煉應當是國家考試體系的一個重要部分
Because we focus on study, some students have health problems
因為我們太重視學習,有些學生會有健康問題
but parents don't like it, they don't...
但家長們卻不喜歡這樣
They said, "Why should my son be running quick? We don't want him to be a sportsman."
他們會說 "我兒子為什么要跑得快呢,我們不想要他成為運動員
"We just want to go to a good university."
"我們只要他考上好大學"
So they don't think health is very important,
所以他們不覺得保持身體健康很重要
but the government force the school to do this.
但政府要求學校這么做
If you cannot pass PE, you cannot go to a good high school or a good university.
如果學生體育考試不及格,就無法上好高中或好大學
Ok.
好了
Now, PE is part of the national Zhongkao exam
現在,體育已經成為全國中考考試科目
the target for Chinese students at the age of 15.
中國學生十五歲的時候都要參加中考
I just want to explain what is Zhongkao.
我想解釋一下什么是中考
If you want to go to the good school in high school,
如果你想上一個好高中
you have to pass the national exam.
你必須通過全國性考試
We have running.
我們有跑步項目
For the boys, erm, you will run 1,000 metres, girls 800.
男生要跑一千米,女生跑八百米
Miss Wang will be assisted by Bohunt PE teacher Anna Hogg to deliver PE - Chinese style.
博航特體育老師安娜·霍格將輔助王老師進行中式體育教學
The kids are all going to be timed, tested and ranked against each other.
所有的學生都將經過計時測試,排出名次高低
The news has not gone down well with everyone.
不是每個人都覺得這是個好消息
They're a bit shocked that in China this is compulsory rather than optional, erm...
他們聽到這在中國是必修而不是選修有點震驚
We do fitness tests, but it's very much ability-set,
我們有體能測試,但會根據能力分組
so they will run against people that are the similar ability.
所以他們都和體能差不多的人一起跑
I think it's the idea of having the pressure that they have to pass,
我覺得主要是他們有了必須要通過考試的壓力
you know, students are scared of failing.
畢竟學生都怕掛科
Joe excels in academic subjects but struggles with PE.
喬在學術科目上十分優秀,但體育并不理想
Right, listen, if your best means...
聽著,如果你竭盡全力
OK, listen to me...
聽我說
If your best means that you don't get the six points, then you don't get six points.
如果你竭盡全力也拿不到六分,那就坦然接受那個成績
OK? Don't worry yourself about it,
好嗎,不要太焦慮
what you've got to do is you've got to breathe properly.
你現在要深呼吸
You can do it.
你做得到
Yeah, you can do it.
你做得到
It's a bit, like, disheartening if you...
當你在的班級里
If you're in a class of people who are a lot higher ability than you,
其他人的能力都比你高很多,這讓讓人很沮喪
it's kind of, like...
這有點...
It's not really going to help your confidence if everyone is seeing you
這有點打擊我的自信心,因為每個人都在看著你
and you're, like, doing the worst in the class.
而你的成績是全班最差的