And so I'm going to take a few examples from our work.
我想要舉幾個我們在研究中發現的例子。
One first saying that I'm sure you all have heard
這第一個說法,我想大多數人都聽說過:
is the fact that too much screen time makes your eyesight worse.
看太久屏幕會導致視力下降。
That's a statement about vision.
這是個關于視力的說法。
There may be vision scientists among you.
也許你們中有人是視覺方面的專家,
We actually know how to test that statement.
我們知道如何檢驗這個說法。
We can step into the lab and measure how good your vision is.
我們可以在實驗室中測出你的視力到底怎么樣。
Well, guess what? People that don't play a lot of action games,
你猜結果怎么樣?不經常玩游戲
that don't actually spend a lot of time in front of screens, have normal,
也不經常看屏幕的人視力正常,
or what we call corrective-to-normal vision. That's okay.
或者說定義為正常。這沒什么問題。
The issue is what happens with these guys that actually
現在我們要關注的是那些
indulge into playing video games like five hours per week,
每周花5個小時,
10 hours per week, 15 hours per week.
10個小時,15個小時沉迷于游戲的那些人。
By that statement, their vision should be really bad, right?
根據剛才的說法這些人的視力應該很差,對嗎?
Guess what? Their vision is really, really good.
你猜怎么著?這些人的視力居然非常好。
It's better than those that don't play.
甚至比那些不玩游戲的人視力還要好。
And it's better in two different ways.
他們視力好體現在兩個方面。
The first way is that they're actually able to resolve small detail in the context of clutter,
其一是他們可以在雜亂中看到細節。
and though that means being able to read the fine print on a prescription
也就是說在看藥品說明上的小字的時候
rather than using magnifier glasses, you can actually do it with just your eyesight.
不需要放大鏡,靠肉眼就能看清。
The other way that they are better is actually being able to resolve different levels of gray.
其二是他們能夠分辨不同的灰度。
Imagine you're driving in a fog.
想象一下你在大霧中開車。
That makes a difference between seeing the car in front of you
有分辨灰度的能力能夠讓你分辨前方汽車,
and avoiding the accident, or getting into an accident.
意味著你是否能避免車禍的發生。
So we're actually leveraging that work to develop games for patients with low vision,
我們現在正在用這個發現開發游戲
and to have an impact on retraining their brain to see better.
幫助視力不好的病人重新訓練他們的大腦,讓他們能看得更好。
Clearly, when it comes to action video games,
通過研究我們很明顯地發現,對于玩動作電子游戲的人來說,
screen time doesn't make your eyesight worse.
玩游戲的時間長并不意味著視力變差。
Another saying that I'm sure you have all heard around:
另一個我相信大家都聽說過的說法是
Video games lead to attention problems and greater distractability.
電子游戲會讓人難以集中注意力。
Okay, we know how to measure attention in the lab.
我們知道怎么在實驗室中測量一個人注意力的集中程度。
I'm actually going to give you an example of how we do so.
我將帶給大家一個測量的例子。
I'm going to ask you to participate,
我希望大家都能參與進來,
so you're going to have to actually play the game with me.
所以需要大家一起和我做這個游戲。
I'm going to show you colored words.
我將展示一些有顏色的單詞。
I want you to shout out the color of the ink.
我希望大家大聲說出字體的顏色。
Right? So this is the first example.
明白了嗎?馬上是第一個例子。
Orange, good. Green.
橙色,很好。綠色。
Red.Red.
紅色。
Yellow. Yellow.
黃色。黃色
Red. Yellow.
紅色。黃色。
Yellow.
黃色。
Okay, you get my point, right?
大家明白我做這個游戲的意思了吧?
You're getting better, but it's hard. Why is it hard?
你們做得越來越好,但是這還是很難。為什么會覺得難?
Because I introduced a conflict between
因為在這個游戲里
the word itself and its color.
文字本身的意思和它字體的顏色是矛盾的。
How good your attention is determines actually how fast you resolve that conflict,
你的注意力有多集中決定了你能多快解決這個矛盾。
so the young guys here at the top of their game probably, like,
所以狀態最佳的年輕人們會比
did a little better than some of us that are older.
我們中有些年齡大些的表現好一點。
What we can show is that when you do this kind of task
我們會發現如果
with people that play a lot of action games,
普通人和經常玩游戲的人一起做這個游戲的時候,
they actually resolve the conflict faster.
經常玩動作電子游戲的人能更快地處理其中的矛盾。
So clearly playing those action games doesn't lead to attention problems.
所以很明顯地,玩動作電子游戲不會導致注意力產生問題或是更容易分心。