So the way we acquired the games is very interesting and very unorthodox.
我們收購游戲的方式是十分有趣的,也是極不尋常的。
You see them here displayed alongside other examples of design,
你看在這里,它們陳列在其它設計樣品的旁邊,
furniture and other parts,
家具和其他的部分,
but there's no paraphernalia, no nostalagia,
但是這兒沒有游戲設備,沒有懷舊街機,
only the screen and a little shelf with the controllers.
只有屏幕和帶控制器的小架子。
The controllers are, of course, part of the experience,
當然,控制器是這種體驗的一部分,
so you cannot do away with it.
因而你不可以沒有它。
But interestingly, this choice was not condemned too vehemently by gamers.
有趣的是,這個選擇并沒有被游戲者們太過強烈地譴責。
I was afraid that they would kill us, and instead they understood,
我以前曾擔心他們會殺了我們,相反,他們理解了我們,
especially when I told them that I was trying to
特別是當我告訴他們我正嘗試
apply the same stratagem that Philip Johnson applied in 1934
應用Philip Johnson在1934年使用的相同的攻略。
when he wanted to make people understand the importance of design,
他當時想讓人們理解設計的重要性,
and he took propeller blades and pieces of machinery
他采用了螺旋槳推進器,一些機器的零件,
and in the MoMA galleries he put them on white pedestals against white walls,
他把它們放在現代藝術博物館走廊里的白色底座上,
as if they were Brancusi sculptures.
緊靠著白色的墻壁,就好像它們是Brancusi的雕塑。
He created this strange distance, this shock,
他創造了這個怪異的間隔,這種沖擊,
that made people realize how gorgeous formally,
使人們認識到是這些設計零件是
and also important functionally, design pieces were.
多么華麗而又莊重并且有著重要的功能。
I would like to do the same with video games.
我也想這樣來介紹電子游戲。
By getting rid of the sticky carpets and the cigarette butts
擺脫了黏地毯和煙蒂
and everything else that we might remember from our childhood,
以及任何可能回憶起我們童年的東西。
I want people to understand that those are important forms of design.
我想讓人們明白這些是設計的重要形式。
And in a way, the video games, the fonts and everything else
某種程度上,電子游戲、字體以及其它任何東西,
lead us to make people understand a wider meaning for design.
都引導我們使人們理解設計的更廣泛的含義。
One of my dream acquisitions, which has been on hold for a few years
我夢想的收購品之一,已經擱置了好幾年,
but now will come back on the front burner, is a 747.
不過現在將要回到首要位置的,是一架747。
I would like to acquire it, but without owning it.
我想要收購它,但不想擁有它。
I don't want it to be at MoMA and possessed by MoMA.
我不想要它出現并被現代藝術博物館所擁有,
I want it to keep flying.
我想要它繼續飛翔。
So it's an acquisition where MoMA makes an arrangement with an airline and keeps the Boeing 747 flying.
這是一個收藏品,現代藝術博物館與航空公司達成了一個協議,讓波音747繼續飛翔。
And the same with the "@" sign that we acquired a few years ago.
同樣,我們幾年前收購的"@"符號 ,
It was the first example of an acquisition of something that is in the public domain.
它是公共領域收藏品的第一個例子。
And what I say to people, it's almost as if a butterfly were flying by
我想對人們說的是,這幾乎就像是一只蝴蝶在飛舞,
and we captured the shadow on the wall,
我們抓住了它在墻壁上的影子,
and just we're showing the shadow.
而我們只是在展示這個影子。
So in a way, we're showing a manifestation of something that is truly important
換言之,我們正在展示一種非常重要東西的表現,
and that is part of our identity but that nobody can have.
這是我們身份的一部分,沒人可以擁有。
And it's too long to explain the acquisition,
要解釋收購實在是需要太多的言語了。
but if you want to go on the MoMA blog,
不過如果你想上現代藝術博物館的博客,
there's a long post where I explain why it's such a great example of design.
有一篇很長的帖子里我解釋了為什么它是這樣一個設計很好的例子。
Along the way, I've had to burn a few chairs. You know?
在這個過程中,我不得不燒掉幾把椅子。你們知道嗎?
I've had to do away with a few concepts of design past.
我不得不廢除過去設計的一些概念。
But I see that people are coming along,
然而我看到人們正在進步,
that the audiences, paradoxically,
相反的是,相比我的一些同事們而言,聽眾們
are much more responsive and much more understanding
更加積極響應而且更加理解
of this expansion of design than some of my colleagues are.
這種設計的擴展。
Design is truly everywhere, and design is as important as anything,
設計是真的無處不在。設計和任何事情一樣重要。
and I'm so glad that, because of its diversity
我很欣慰,由于它的多樣性,
and because of its centrality to our lives,
由于它是我們生活中的中心,
many more people are coming to it as a profession, as a passion,
越來越多的人們正在認識它,作為一個專業,或者一種激情,
and as, very simply, part of their own culture.
或者簡單地作為自己修養的一部分。
Thank you very much.
非常感謝。