I'm a brain scientist, and as a brain scientist,
我是一個腦科學家,而作為一個腦科學家,
I'm actually interested in how the brain learns,
我對于大腦是如何學習的很感興趣。
and I'm especially interested in a possibility of making our brains smarter, better and faster.
我尤為感興趣的是將我們的大腦變得更聰明,更優秀,更迅速的可能性。
This is in this context I'm going to tell you about video games.
在這個前提下,我想談談電子游戲。
When we say video games, most of you think about children.
當我們說到電子游戲的時候,大多數人都會想到孩子。
It's true. Ninety percent of children do play video games.
沒錯。90%的孩子的確玩電子游戲。
But let's be frank.
但是說實話,
When the kids are in bed, who is in front of the PlayStation?
當孩子們都睡著了,是誰在玩Play Station游戲機呢?
Most of you. The average age of a gamer is 33 years old,
是你們。電子游戲玩家的平均年齡是33歲,
not eight years old, and in fact, if we look at the projected demographics of video game play,
不是8歲。其實,如果我們看看對于未來電子游戲玩家的預測,
the video game players of tomorrow are older adults.
未來的玩家將是中老年人。
So video is pervasive throughout our society.
由此看來電子游戲滲透在了我們的社會中。
It is clearly here to stay. It has an amazing impact on our everyday life.
而它很明顯的還會繼續存在下去。
Consider these statistics released by Activision.
它對于我們的日常生活有非常驚人的影響。
After one month of release
這里列的是一些由美國動視公司公布的統計數據。
of the game "Call Of Duty: Black Ops," it had been played
在《使命召喚:黑暗行動》發布后的一個月內,
for 68,000 years worldwide, right?
它在全世界范圍內的累積游戲時間就達到了六萬八千年。
Would any of you complain if this was the case about doing linear algebra?
如果把這些時間都用在做線性代數的題目上了,你們還會有抱怨嗎?
So what we are asking in the lab is, how can we leverage that power?
所以我們現在的問題就是如何利用這種驚人的能量。
Now I want to step back a bit.
我們先退一步。
I know most of you have had the experience of
我知道你們可能不少都有過
coming back home and finding your kids playing these kinds of games.
下班回家發現孩子在玩這類游戲的經歷。
The name of the game is to get after your enemy zombie bad guys
這些游戲的目標一般就是在敵人、僵尸、壞人
before they get to you, right?
打倒你之前先打倒他們。
And I'm almost sure most of you have thought,
我可以推測,你們可能大多都想過:
"Oh, come on, can't you do something more intelligent than shooting at zombies?"
“拜托,你就不能做點比射殺僵尸更能體現智商的事情嗎?”
I'd like you to put this kind of knee-jerk reaction in the context of what you would have thought
但是如果你發現你的女兒在玩數獨,
if you had found your girl playing sudoku
或是兒子在讀莎士比亞的時候,
or your boy reading Shakespeare. Right?
你還會有這樣的條件反射嗎?
Most parents would find that great.
大多數家長們都會倍感欣慰。
Well, I'm not going to tell you that
我不是要告訴你們
playing video games days in and days out is actually good for your health.
成天玩游戲是對身體有益的。
It's not, and binging is never good.
那是不健康的,而且過度沉迷永遠不會是件好事。
But I'm going to argue that in reasonable doses,
但我想要說服大家的是適量地
actually the very game I showed you at the beginning,
玩玩我們剛才提到的游戲,
those action-packed shooter games have quite powerful effects and positive effects
就是那些動作射擊游戲,對我們的反應在各種層面上
on many different aspects of our behavior.
有可觀的正面影響。
There's not one week that goes without some major headlines in the media
幾乎沒哪個星期媒體
about whether video games are good or bad for you, right?
不寫幾條關于電子游戲是好是壞的頭條。
You're all bombarded with that.
你們被這樣的信息轟炸著。
I'd like to put this kind of Friday night bar discussion aside
我們現在先不談這個適合閑來無事爭論一下的話題,
and get you to actually step into the lab.
而是看看在實驗室中得到的結果。
What we do in the lab is actually measure directly,
我們在實驗室里的工作就是直接準確地測試、
in a quantitative fashion, what is the impact of video games on the brain.
量化電子游戲對于大腦的影響。