'Thank you,' said Alice sadly. She could not refuse to listen, she thought, if the poem was specially written for her.
愛麗絲沮喪地說:“謝謝!”她想如果這首詩是專門為她寫的,她就不能不洗耳恭聽。
In winter, when the fields are white, I sing this song for your delight- 'But I don't sing it,' he explained.
冬日里田野白雪皚皚,我唱起這首歌,只為你開懷--他解釋說:“但我不唱歌。”
'Yes, I can see that,' Alice said.
“是的,這我明白。”愛麗絲應道。
'If you can see me singing or not singing, you've better eyes than most people,' said Humpty Dumpty.
胖墩兒說:“如果你能看出我是否在唱歌,那么你的眼力比大部分人都要好。”
Alice was silent, and he went on.
愛麗絲沉默著,于是他又背:
In spring, when woods are getting green, I'll try and tell you what I mean.
春天里樹木郁郁蔥蔥,我要設法告訴你我的意思。
'Thank you very much,' said Alice.
愛麗絲說:“非常感謝。”
In summer, when the days are long, Perhaps you'll understand the song.
夏日里炎炎日長,也許你會懂得我的歌唱。
In autumn, when the leaves are brown, Take pen and ink and write it down.
秋天枝葉枯黃,拿起筆墨永記不忘。
'I will, if I can remember it so long,' said Alice.
“我會的,如果我能把它長久記住的話。”愛麗絲說。
'Don't go on saying things,' Humpty Dumpty said. 'They're not sensible, and I forget where I am.'
胖墩兒說:“別說了,你說的話不明智。我忘了講到哪兒了。”
I sent a message to the fish; I told them 'This is what I wish.'
我給魚兒捎個信;告訴它們“這是我的心愿。”
The little fishes of the sea, They sent an answer back to me.
大海里的小魚兒,給了我一個回音。
The little fishes' answer was 'We cannot do it, Sir, because-'
小魚兒的回音是“先生,這事我們做不了,因為--”
'I'm afraid I don't understand,' said Alice.
愛麗絲說:“恐怕我理解不了。”
'It gets easier as it goes on,' Humpty Dumpty replied.
“越往后聽,就變得越簡單了。”胖墩兒說。
But the poem went on for a long time, and Alice thought it got harder, not easier, to understand.
詩歌又背了好長時間,可是愛麗絲覺得理解起來越來越難,而不是越來越容易了。
Then Humpty Dumpty suddenly stopped, and there was a long silence.
胖墩兒突然停住,隨后是長久的沉默。
'Is that all?' Alice asked politely.
愛麗絲客氣地問:“背完了?”
'That's all,' said Humpty Dumpty. 'Goodbye.'
“背完了,再見!”胖墩兒答。
Alice waited a minute, but Humpty Dumpty closed his eyes and did not speak again.
愛麗絲等了一會兒,但胖墩兒閉上眼,不再說話。
So she got up, said 'goodbye' , and quietly walked away.
她站了起來,道了“再見”,輕輕地走開了。
'What an extraordinary person!' she said to herself as she walked.
“這真是個非常奇特的人!”她一邊走,一邊自言自語。
'I don't think I ever met-' She never finished what she was saying, because at that moment a heavy crash shook the forest from end to end.
“我想我從未見過--”但話只講了半截,因為就在那時,強烈的撞擊聲震動了森林的這端到那端。