Alice thought about this. 'I like birthday presents best,' she said at last.
愛麗絲想了想,最后說:“我還是最喜歡生日禮物。”
'You don't know what you're talking about!' cried HumptyDumpty.
“你在講些什么呀!”胖墩兒叫嚷道。
How many days are there in a year?
一年有多少天?
'Three hundred and sixty-five,' said Alice.
愛麗絲說:“365天。”
And how many birthdays have you? - One.
其中有多少天是你的生日?一天。
And if you take one from three hundred and sixty-five, what is left?
那么如果你將365天減去1天剩多少?
Three hundred and sixty-four, of course.
當然是364天。
'So there's only one day when you can get birthday presents,' said Humpty Dumpty,
胖墩兒便說:“這么講你只有一天能收到生日禮物。
but three hundred and sixty-four days when you can get unbirthday presents! There's success for you!
但其他364天都能收到非生日禮物,你就‘成功’了!
'I don't know what you mean by “success” ,' Alice said.
“我不明白你說‘成功’指的是什么?”愛麗絲問。
Humpty Dumpty smiled. 'Of course you don't-until I tell you.
胖墩兒笑了笑,“我不告訴你,你當然不曉得,
I meant “there's a clever idea for you!”
我指的是‘給你個聰明的主意!’
'But “success” doesn't mean “a clever idea” ,' Alice argued.
“但‘成功’沒有‘聰明主意’的意思呀。”愛麗絲爭辯說。
'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, looking down his nose at Alice, 'it means just what I choose it to mean-neither more nor less.'
胖墩兒不理會愛麗絲,說:“我用一個詞兒,我要它什么意思,那詞兒就是什么意思。
'But can you make words have different meanings?' asked Alice.
“但你可以叫詞兒具有另外的意思嗎?”愛麗絲問。
'Words are difficult things, I agree,' said Humpty Dumpty.
胖墩兒說:“我同意,用詞兒是件不容易的事。
But you have to be strong with them. Give them orders. Tell them to obey you.
但你得對它們顯示你的威力。給它們發號施令。要它們遵從你。
They must work hard, and do what they're told!
它們必須好好干,對你唯命是從!
He banged his hand excitedly on the wall as he spoke.
他說著,激動地將手重重地在墻上拍了一下。
'You seem very clever with words, Sir,' said Alice politely, hoping to calm him.
“你好像對詞兒很有些辦法,先生。”愛麗絲很有禮貌地說,希望使他平靜下來。
She was worried about him falling off the wall.
她擔心他從墻上摔下來。
Humpty Dumpty looked pleased. 'I can explain most words, and get them to do what I want,' he said.
胖墩兒面帶悅色,說:“我能解釋大多數的詞兒,并叫它們為我服務。
Some of them are like suitcases, you know. They've got several meanings packed up in them.
有些詞兒像皮箱,里面有好幾種意思。
Take poems, for example. One short poem can carry as many meanings as five people's luggage.
譬如詩歌,一首短詩的意思可以像五個人的行李一樣豐富。
'Somebody repeated a poem to me earlier today,' saidAlice. 'It was Tweedledee, I think.'
愛麗絲說:“今天早些時候,有人給我背誦了首詩。我想那是特威帝吧。"
'Oh, I can repeat any number of poems, if you like,' said Humpty Dumpty.
“哦,只要你喜歡,我背誦多少首詩都可以。”胖墩兒說。
'Well, not just at the moment,' Alice said quickly, hoping to stop him from beginning.
愛麗絲馬上搶著說:“哦,現在不必了。”希望他別開始背。
'This piece was written specially for you,' Humpty Dumpty went on, not listening to her. 'It will amuse you.'
胖墩兒并不聽她,繼續說:“這首是專門為你寫的。它將給你帶來快樂。”