What I'm anxious to do really is to try to tell you
我急于想要去給你們說的是
a little bit about the origin of these scenes.
這些場景的來源
but the difference between writing the book
還有寫書
and then going on to television,
與拍電視的區別
the first thing of course to notice is that
首先在于電視上
it's the television screen play.
播出的長度
It's about, I don't know, quarter, fifth as long as a book.
大約相當于1/4或1/5書的長度,我不太確定
The last book I wrote The Remorseful Day is 450 pages,
我最近的一本書,懊悔的一天,有450頁
and the television lasts, you think it lasts two hours, don't you?
你肯定認為拍成電視劇有兩小時,是吧?
But it doesn't.
但是沒有
If it's on ITV, you don't have a 120 minutes,
如果是在獨立電視臺,不會是120分鐘
you have a 102 minutes.
而是102分鐘
Because you have all the adverts coming in the middle.
因為所有的廣告插在中間播出
and all the credits at the beginning, all of them,
全部的演職員名單放在開頭
you are left for 102 minutes,
最后只剩下102分鐘
and therefore, something have to give way and sometimes it's rather sad,
因此,必須舍棄一些東西,有時很讓人傷心
especially if somebody's particularly proud of what they've written.
特別是那些對自己作品尤為自豪的人
I know perfectly well that I never let anybody read my books at all
我很清楚,我從不讓誰讀我的書
until they went to the publisher who looks after me at MacMillan.
除非他們去麥克米倫出版社找我的出版商
And I know once I've been to Lyme Regis,
記得有一次我去了萊姆里吉斯
do you know Lyme Regis? Yes?
你們知道那里嗎?
It's a lovely place, isn't it?
很漂亮的地方,是吧?
And I booked a room, looking over Lyme bay
我訂了個房間,可以俯瞰萊姆灣
there the waves always came in left to right as you looked at them,
可以看到海浪總是從左向右而入
and the seagulls squawked by outside window,
海鷗在窗外大聲叫著
and they looked at you, do you remember
它們看著你,你們記得
in those pictures of the Japanese bombers of came along Ummmm,
圖片中的日本轟炸機嗎,它們嗚嗚地飛過
and did their wings in the wind and the foam came back,
海鷗張開翅膀,在風中翱翔
very slowly, up to beach, lovely,
浪花輕輕地拍打著海灘,很美
and I try to do the best I could.
我努力寫到最好