'I only remember things one way,' Alice said. 'I can't remember things before they happen.'
"我只能用一種方法記住事情。我不會記住那些還沒有發生過的事情。”愛麗絲說。
'That's not very useful,' said the Queen.
王后說:“那可沒有好處。
I can remember things that happened the week after next.
我可以記住兩周后發生的事情。
For example, the King's Messenger is in prison now, but he hasn't done anything wrong yet.
譬如說,國王的信使現在坐牢了,但他至今還沒有做錯什么事。
His crime will come much later.
他犯罪的時間要晚得多。
'But what happens if there is no crime,' asked Alice, 'and he doesn't do anything wrong at all?
愛麗絲問:“如果他根本沒犯罪,沒做錯事,那又能有什么后果呢?
That seems a strange way of
這似乎是用離奇的方式來
At that moment the Queen began to scream very loudly, and to shake her hand around in the air.
王后突然大聲尖叫起來,并在空中揮舞著手,叫喊著:
Oh, oh! she shouted. My finger's bleeding! Oh, oh, oh!
哎呀,哎呀!我的手指在流血!哎呀,哎呀,哎呀!
Alice put her hands over her ears.
愛麗絲用雙手捂住了耳朵,
'What is the matter?' she said, in between the Queen's screams. 'Have you cut your finger?'
她在王后尖叫的間隙問道:“怎么回事?你割破了手指頭?”
'I haven't cut it yet,' the Queen said, 'but I soon shall-oh, oh, oh!'
“我還沒有割破手指,但我不久就會了,哎呀,哎呀,哎呀!”王后說。
'When do you think you will do it?' Alice asked, trying not to laugh.
愛麗絲問:“你認為什么時候會割破手指?”盡量不笑出聲來。
'When I fasten my shawl again,' the Queen said unhappily, 'one of the pins will come out and-oh, oh!'
王后不高興地說:“當我再次系牢披肩時,一只別針會脫落下來--哎呀,哎呀!”
As she said the words, one of her shawl pins came undone and she quickly took hold of it, trying to fasten it again.
正說著,披肩上的一只別針松了,她快速把它抓住,想重新把它固定住。
'Take care!' cried Alice. 'You're holding it wrong!'
愛麗絲喊道:“小心!你抓錯了方向!”
She tried to help the Queen, but it was too late-the pin had already gone deep into the Queen's finger.
她想幫王后個忙,但太遲了--別針已經深深地扎進了王后的指頭。
'That explains the bleeding, you see,' the Queen said to Alice with a smile.
王后笑著對愛麗絲講:“那就解釋了流血的事。
Now you understand the way things happen here.
現在你明白了這兒事情是怎樣發生的吧。
'But why don't you scream now?' Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.
"可是你現在為什么不叫喊?”愛麗絲問,揚起雙手準備再次把耳朵捂住。
'I've done all the screaming already,' said the Queen. 'Why do it all again?'
王后說:“我已經叫喊過了。干嗎又要重復一遍呢?”
'It's very difficult to believe,' Alice said, 'that life can happen backwards.'
"人生階段可以倒過來發生,這真令人難以置信。”愛麗絲說。
'Try to believe something a bit easier,' said the Queen helpfully. 'For example, I'm a hundred and one years old.'
王后有意指點她,就說:“設法相信得更容易點。譬如說,我已101歲了。”
'I can't believe that!' said Alice.
"我不能相信。”愛麗絲說。
'Can't you?' the Queen said, shaking her head sadly.
王后沮喪地搖搖頭,說:“你怎么不相信?"
Try again. Put your hands together and shut your eyes.
再試試。合上雙手并閉上眼睛。