Oliver:I've just had to tell a client that I'm running behind and I won't make the deadline.
奧利弗:我得告訴一位客戶我進度落后,可能趕不上最后期限。
Alena:How did she take it?
阿勒娜:她會有怎樣的反應?
Oliver:Not so well, at first.
奧利弗:第一反應肯定不是太好。
I knew she wouldn't be happy, so I've been in a dilemma for days:
我知道她不會很高興,所以這幾天我一直進退兩難:
Should I tell her now that I'm going to miss the deadline, or wait until the deadline has passed.
我是不是現在應該告訴她我可能會錯過最后截止日期,還是等到大限過去了再開口。
Alena:For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing.
阿勒娜:不管結果怎樣,我想你做的都是正確的。
It gives her advance notice in case it affects other parts of her project.
得給她打個預防針,以免影響她項目的其他環節。
Oliver:That's what I thought, too.
奧利弗:我就是這么想的。
I also offered to make up for any inconvenience the delay would cause.
我也愿意彌補因延誤造成的任何損失。
Alena:Did she take you up on it?
阿勒娜:她采納你的意見了嗎?
Oliver:No, she said that giving me a three-day extension wouldn't set her back, but if it dragged on for longer than that, it would put her in an awkward spot, and she would let me know.
奧利弗:不,她說給我3天寬限,這不會對她造成影響,但如果再拖延,會讓她處于尷尬的境地,她希望我能了解。
Alena:I'm glad you came to an understanding.
阿勒娜:我很高興你能這樣理解。
So you'll have it done by the new deadline, right?
所以你必須在新的截止日期前搞定,對嗎?
Oliver:Yes, even if I have to do without sleep, food, or bathroom breaks for the next week.
奧利弗:是的,即使下周我不眠不休,不吃不喝,不去廁所也要弄完。
Alena:That's very dedicated of you, though potentially messy.
阿勒娜:雖然可能有點混亂,但你真的很投入。