Yes, I have an idea, but first,I'm so sorry that you were beaten by the chimps.
是的 我有個主意 但首先對于你們被黑猩猩打敗 我表示很抱歉。
Fortunately, I will be able to comfort you by showing why it was not your fault, actually.
幸運的是 我有辦法安慰你們,因為其實這不是你們的錯。
Then, I will equip you with some tricks for beating the chimps in the future.
然后 我會給你們提供一些竅門以便你們以后能夠打敗黑猩猩。
That's basically what I will do.
我接下去會做的基本就是這些。
But first, let's look at why are we so ignorant,and it all starts in this place.
首先 來看看為什么我們會如此的無知一切都始于這個地方。
It's Hudiksvall. It's a city in northern Sweden.
這是胡迪克斯瓦爾 瑞典北部的一座城市。
It's a neighborhood where I grew up,and it's a neighborhood with a large problem.
我在這個地方長大,這個地方有著一個很大的問題。
Actually, it has exactly the same problem which existed in all the neighborhoods where you grew up as well.
實際上 這個地方跟你們從小所居住的那些地方存在著一模一樣的問題。
It was not representative. Okay?
那就是不具備典型性。
It gave me a very biased view of how life is on this planet.
他讓我對于“其他人是如何生活的”的看法是帶有很強烈的偏見的。
So this is the first piece of the ignorance puzzle.
所以這是“無知拼圖”的第一塊。
We have a personal bias.
我們有個人偏見。
We have all different experiences from communities and people we meet,and on top of this, we start school,and we add the next problem.
我們在各自的社區 和我們所遇見的人身上所獲得經驗都是不同的。在此之上 我們還會上學這就帶來了下一個問題。
Well, I like schools, but teachers tend to teach outdated worldviews,because they learned something when they went to school.
當然 我喜歡學校。但老師們傾向于教授過時的世界觀因為這些東西是他們上學的時候學到的。
and now they describe this world to the students without any bad intentions,and those books, of course, that are printed are outdated in a world that changes.
現在盡管不帶有任何的惡意。他們又將這些知識教給了學生。還有書,在這個瞬息萬變的世界里那些印刷出來的書當然也是過時的。
And there is really no practice to keep the teaching material up to date.
并且沒有一個有效的措施能使教材與時俱進。
So that's what we are focusing on.
所以這就是我們的關注點。
So we have these outdated facts added on top of our personal bias.
我們知道的是過時的情況加上我們的個人偏見。
What happens next is news, okay?
接下去就是新聞了對吧?
An excellent journalist knows how to pick the story that will make headlines,and people will read it because it's sensational.
一個杰出的記者很清楚要如何選題才能上頭條人們之所以會看是因為它聳人聽聞。
Unusual events are more interesting, no?
不尋常的事件才更有意思 不是嗎?
And they are exaggerated,and especially things we're afraid of.
然后他們會夸大其詞,尤其是那些令我們害怕的事情。
A shark attack on a Swedish person will get headlines for weeks in Sweden.
一名瑞典人遭到鯊魚的攻擊這類新聞會在瑞典媒體上保持頭條幾星期。
So these three skewed sources of information were really hard to get away from.
我們很難擺脫這三類歪曲的消息來源。
They kind of bombard us and equip our mind with a lot of strange ideas,and on top of it we put the very thing that makes us humans, our human intuition.
它們對我們狂轟濫炸并且用許多奇怪的觀點武裝來我們的思維。在此基礎上 再加上一項人類獨特的功能,我們的直覺。
It was good in evolution.
直覺對進化是有利的。
It helped us generalize and jump to conclusions very, very fast.
它幫助我們很快的進行歸納和總結。
It helped us exaggerate what we were afraid of,and we seek causality where there is none, and we then get an illusion of confidence.
幫助我們夸大我們所懼之事。當所懼之事沒有發生時 我們就會尋找其中的因果關系然后我們會獲得莫名的自信。
Where we believe that we are the best car drivers,above the average.
比如我們都自信自己是最好的司機高于平均水平。
Everybody answered that question,Yeah, I drive cars better.
每個人都會回答:沒錯,我的車開的更好。