In 1969, the internet was but a dream, a few sketches on a piece of paper.
1969年,互聯網還只是癡人說夢,紙上談兵。
And then on October 29th, the first packet-switched message was sent from UCLA to SRI.
然后在1969年10月29日,第一個數據包交換信息從加州大學洛杉磯分校傳到斯坦福研究所。
The first two letters of the word Login, that's all that made it through an L and an O and then a buffer overflow crashed the system.
Login的頭兩個字母是使其成功發送的全部原因。字母L和O接著緩沖器溢出使系統崩潰了。
Two letters,an L and an O,now a worldwide force.
兩個字母L和O如今成為全球力量。
So who are these scientists and engineers at a magical place called DARPA?
那么,在那個叫做DARPA的神奇地方里的科學家和工程師都是什么樣的人?
They are nerds,and they are heroes among us.
他們都是書呆子還是我們當中的英雄。
They challenge existing perspectives at the edges of science and under the most demanding of conditions.
他們在科學的邊緣以及要求極高的條件下挑戰固有的觀念。
They remind us that we can change the world if we defy the impossible and we refuse to fear failure.
他們提醒我們,如果我們與不可能斗爭我們不害怕失敗,我們就能改變世界。
They remind us that we all have nerd power.
他們讓我們知道我們每個人都有書呆子的力量。
Sometimes we just forget.
有時候我們就是忘了。
You see, there was a time when you weren't afraid of failure,when you were a great artist or a great dancer and you could sing, you were good at math.
你知道,你曾經不怕失敗,你是個出色的藝術家或舞蹈家。你會唱歌,你擅長數學。
You could build things, you were an astronaut, an adventurer, Jacques Cousteau,you could jump higher, run faster,kick harder than anyone.
你會建造東西,你是個宇航員。一個探險者,雅克庫斯托。你比任何人都跳得高,跑得快踢得遠。
You believed in impossible things and you were fearless.
你相信不可能的事情并且你無所畏懼。
You were totally and completely in touch with your inner superhero.
你已經切切實實地完全與你內心世界的超人聯系在一起了。
Scientists and engineers can indeed change the world.
科學家和工程師確實能改變世界。
So can you.
你也可以。
You were born to.
你生來就可以。
So go ahead,ask yourself,what would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
所以向前走,問自己,你打算做什么,如果你知道你不會失敗?
Now I want to say, this is not easy.
現在,我想說這并不容易。
It's hard to hold onto this feeling,really hard.
堅持這種想法很難,真的很難。
I guess in some way,I sort of believe it's supposed to be hard.
我想,在某種程度上。我覺得這是很困難的。
Doubt and fear always creep in.
懷疑和恐懼總是趁虛而入。
We think someone else, someone smarter than us,someone more capable,someone with more resources will solve that problem.
我們想到別人,想到比我們更聰明的人比我們更有能力的人,比我們擁有更多的解決問題的資源的人。
But there isn't anyone else; there's just you.
但實際上沒有任何別的人;只有你。
And if we're lucky, in that moment, someone steps into that doubt and fear,takes a hand and says,Let me help you believe.
而且如果我們幸運的話,在那樣動搖的時刻,有人會解決那樣的疑慮和恐懼,拿起我們的手,對我們說。讓我來幫助你相信。
Jason Harley did that for me.
詹森哈利就為我做了這樣的事情。
Jason started at DARPA on March 18th, 2010.
詹森從2010年3月18日開始在DARPA供職。
He was with our transportation team.
他是我們運輸組的。。
I saw Jason nearly every day, sometimes twice a day.
我幾乎每天都會碰到詹森,有時一天兩次。