Why? I asked.Is there something strange about her?
為什么?我問,她有奇怪的地方嗎?
She's like a wild animal.But Mr Jaggers has trained her!Oh yes!
她像一只野獸。但是,賈格斯先生已經訓練了她!噢,是的!
He's stronger,and cleverer, and more complicated than anyone else in London.
在倫敦他比其他任何人強壯、聰明、更精細。
And you know,another strange thing about him, he never locks his doors or windows at night.
你知道,另一件奇怪的事情,晚上,他從不鎖門窗。
Isn't he ever robbed?I asked in surprise.
他從來沒被盜過?我驚奇地問。
All the thieves in London know where he lives,but none of them would dare to rob him.
倫敦的小偷都知道他住的地方,可是,他們沒有一個敢去偷他的東西,
They are all afraid of him, you see.They know he wouldn't rest until he had seen them hanged.
都害怕他,你明白。他們知道,直到他看著他們被絞死,才會休息。
He's a great man, Mr Pip.
他是一個了不起的人物,匹普先生。
Wemmick's house at Walworth was a tiny wooden house in the middle of a garden.
在沃爾鄂斯,文米克的房子是一座小木房,周圍是花園,
On top of the roof was a small gun.
屋頂上有一把小獵槍。
We fire the gun at nine oclock every evening,said Wemmick proudly.
我們每天晚上9點開槍,文米克自豪地說,
And behind the house-I call it the Castle-I keep animals,and grow my own vegetables.
在房子后面—我叫它城堡—我養家畜和自己種疏菜。
So,in case of enemy attack, we can always eat our own food.What do you think of it?
因此,萬一敵人襲擊,我們總能吃上自己的食物,你認為如何?
I congratulated him on his home. He was clearly delighted to show a visitor all his ideas and improvements.
在他家里,我向他祝賀。很顯然,他樂意向來訪者表白他的主意和進步。
I do everything myself,you know, he said.It helps me forget the office for a while.
每件事情都是我自己做,你知道,他說,它能幫助我暫時忘掉那個事務所。
Would you mind being introduced to the Aged now? He would like it very much.
現在向老人介紹你不反對吧?他會十分喜歡的。
So we entered the Castle, where we found a cheerful old man sitting by the fire.
因此,我們進了這座城堡,發現一位快樂的老人正坐著烤火。
well,aged parent, said Wemmick,how are you?
喂,老父親,文米克說,你好嗎?
Very well, John, replied the old man,nodding happily.
很好,約翰,老人高興地點點頭說。
關于《遠大前程》
作者狄更斯歷了豐富的人間生活后,對人,對周圍環境,對自己的生活經歷都有了深刻的認識,而所有他成熟的思想認識都匯總在《遠大前程》一書中。