I greeted him in a confused manner, unable to believe my eyes Suddenly he looked closely at me and gasped.
我有點慌亂地向他問候,不能相信自己的眼睛。突然他氣喘吁吁地盯著我。
But you're the boy at Miss Havisham's!
你是在郝薇香小姐家里的那個孩子!
And you, I said,are the pale young gentleman!
你,我說,是那個白面少年紳士!
We both started laughing, and shook hands.
我們搖搖雙手,開始大笑起來。
Well! he said,I hope you'll forgive me for having knocked you down that day.
喂!他說,希望你能原諒我,那天把你打倒了。
In fact I had knocked him down. But I did not contradict him.
事實上,是我把他打倒了。但是,我沒有反駁他。
Do you know why I was there? he asked.I had been invited to Miss Havisham's to see if she liked me.
你知道為什么我在那兒?他問,郝薇香小姐讓我去見她,看看我是否中她的意。
I suppose I didn't make a good impression on her.If she had liked me,I could be a rich man and engaged to Estella by now.
我猜,我沒有給她留下好的印象,如果她喜歡我的話,我現在可能是一個富翁了,并和艾絲黛拉訂婚了。
Were you disappointed?I asked.
你們沒有約定嗎?我問道。
Oh!I wouldn't want to marry Estella!She's a hard,proud girl, and Miss Havisham has brought her up to break men's hearts, as a revenge on all men.
噢!我不想和艾絲黛拉結婚!她是一個冷酷無情、傲慢的女孩子,郝薇香小姐把她帶大,教唆她去傷男人的心,報復所有的男人。
Is she a relation of Miss Havisham's?I asked.
她是郝薇香小姐的親戚嗎?我問。
No,only adopted. Why were you at Miss Havisham's then?
不是,只不過是養女罷了。那么,你為什么在郝薇香小姐家呢?
To make my fortune, the same as you! But I was lucky.
為我的命運,和你一樣!不過,我是幸運的。
You know Mr Jaggers is Miss Havisham's lawyer?It was kind of him to suggest that my father should teach you.
你知道賈格斯先生是郝薇香小姐的律師嗎?他仁慈地建議讓我父親教你,
My father is Miss Havisham's cousin, you know.
我父親是郝薇香小姐的表兄,你明白。
Herbert Pocket made an excellent impression on me. He always spoke openly and honestly.
赫伯特·樸凱特給我一個極好的印象,他說的總是直率和誠實的。
There was nothing secret or mean in his character, and we soon became good friends.
在他的性格上,沒有什么秘密和別有用意的事情,我們很快就成了好朋友。
I told him of my past life in the village, and my expectations.
我告訴他在鄉村過去的生活和我的前程。
Call me Herbert, he said.Would you mind my calling you Handel?
叫我赫伯特,他說,我叫你漢德爾你會介意嗎?
There's a wonderful piece of music by Handel,called The Blacksmith,which reminds me of you.
有一支漢德爾寫的美妙的樂曲,叫《鐵匠》,這是你提醒了我。
Of course I agreed, and as we sat down to dinner, Herbert told me Miss Havisham's sad story.
當然我同意,當我們坐下來吃晚飯時,赫伯特給我講了郝薇香小姐悲哀的故事。
關于《遠大前程》
出獄后皮普再次變成一無所有的窮光蛋,只好在外國打工,最后成為一個普通人回到家鄉。