Chapter 7 Pip arrives in London
第7章 匹普到達倫敦
At that time everybody in England agreed that London was a wonderful city.
在那時,英國的每個人都稱贊倫敦是一座美麗的城市。
So I was surprised to find it rather ugly,with narrow dirty streets,and people crowded into tiny houses.
然而,讓我吃驚的是,發現這座城市陳舊不堪、街道狹窄骯臟,人們擁擠在窄小的房子里,
I was frightened by its huge size.
我被城市巨大的規模而嚇呆。
At Smithfield,the meat market,I was shocked by the dirt and blood everywhere Then I came to Newgate Prison,where a drunk old man showed me the place where prisoners were hanged,and told me excitedly that four men would die there tomorrow.
在倫敦肉食店,一個鮮肉市場,到處的污物和血跡讓我毛骨悚然。然后,我來到新興門監獄,這里一個喝得醉熏熏的老人把絞首架的地方指給我看,并興奮地告訴我,明天這兒將有4個人歸天,
I was disgusted by this news.My first impression of London could not have been worse.
這個消息讓我厭惡。我的倫敦第一印象不能再壞了。
However I managed to find Mr Jaggers office,noticing that other people were waiting for the great man too.
不管怎樣,我要設法找到賈格斯先生的事務所,我注意到,其他人也在等候這位大人。
After some time he appeared,walking towards me.His clients all rushed at him together.
過了一會兒他露面了,朝我走來。他的顧客一起向他沖來,
He spoke to some,and pushed others away.
他說了幾句話,把其他人打發走了。
One man held on to the lawyer's sleeve.
有一個人抓住律師的衣袖。
Please,Mr Jaggers,he begged,my brother is accused of stealing silver.
求您啦,賈格斯先生,他乞求說,指控我兄弟偷了銀器,
Only you can save him! I'm ready to pay any-thing!
只有你才能救他!我準備支付什么都行!
Your brother?repeated the lawyer.And the trial is to-morrow? Well,I'm sorry for you,and him.I'm on the other side.
你的兄弟?律師重復說,判決是明天嗎?喂,對你很抱歉,我是在對面。
No,Mr Jaggers! cried the man desperately,tears in his eyes.Don't say you're against him!I'll pay anything!
不,賈格斯先生!這個人不顧死活地叫喊著,雙眼充滿著淚水,不是說你反對他!我什么東西都會支付的!
關于《遠大前程》
3人連同船夫出發,在公海上航行,在快要離開國境的時候,小船被接到鄉紳線報的邊防警察扣留,赫伯斯和船夫順利逃走,而皮普和逃犯一起被抓回監獄。