Chapter 4 A present from a stranger
第4章 一份從陌生人那里來的禮品
I desperately wanted to be accepted by Estella.
我不顧死活地想被艾絲黛拉所接受。
I realized I could never become well-educated just by attending old Mrs Wopsle's evening school,
我認識到,只參加陳舊的伍甫賽夫人的夜校,
so I asked Mr Wopsle's cousin Biddy to teach me everything she knew.
不可能成為有良好教養的人。因此,我要求伍甫賽先生的表妹畢蒂,把她所有的知識都教給我,
She helped me as much as she could,but I knew it would take a long time to reach Estella's level.
她盡全力幫助我。但是,我知道要達到艾絲黛拉的水平,需要花費很長的時間。
One evening I went to fetch Joe from the village pub, where my sister sometimes allowed him to smoke his pipe and have a beer.
一天晚上,我想去鎮上的小酒店接喬。有時,我姐姐允許他在這兒抽煙斗和喝點啤酒。
Mr Wopsle and Joe were sitting with a stranger,a man I'd never seen before.
伍甫賽先生和喬正在同一個陌生人坐著,這個人我以前從沒見過。
One of his eyes was half closed,and he wore a big hat which covered most of his head.
他的一只眼半閉著,戴著一頂大帽子幾乎把他的頭都蓋住。
He suddenly looked interested when I arrived,and rubbed his leg in a rather strange way.
當我到來時,他突然感興趣地看著,并用一種奇特的方式,磨蹭著腿。
He had just ordered hot rum for the three of them.
他剛為他們三人要了熱朗姆酒。
It' s lonely country round here,gentlemen,he said.Yes,said Joe,just marshes down to the river.
這里周圍是一個孤獨的農村嗎?先生們。他說。是的,喬說,過了沼澤地就是河。
Do people ever spend the night on the marshes?
人們總是要天黑才到沼澤地里嗎?
No,replied Joe,except an escaped prisoner sometimes.Difficult to find,they are.
不是,喬回答說,有時除了逃犯,他們很難去發現。
Went out to look for one once,me,and Mr Wopsle,and young Pip here.Didn't we,Pip?
我和伍甫賽先生,還有這兒的小匹普出去尋找過一次,是嗎?匹普。
Yes,Joe.
是的,喬。
The stranger looked at me with his good eye.
陌生人用他的好眼睛看著我。
What's his name?Pip?Your son,is he?
他的名字叫什么?匹普?你的兒子,是嗎?
The boy is the blacksmith's wife's brother,explained Mr Wopsle in his official church clerk's voice.
這個孩子是鐵匠妻子的弟弟,伍甫賽先生用他那正式的教堂職員腔調解釋說。
關于《遠大前程》
結果再次遭到妒嫉的鄉紳的伏擊,最后,被他朋友赫伯斯救了。最后,他又在那間荒廢的別墅里和已經40幾歲失去一切財產的心灰意冷的埃·斯黛拉重逢。