Look at me,boy!Am I pretty?
看著我,孩子!我漂亮嗎?
Yes,I think you're very pretty.
是的,我認為你很漂亮。
Am I rude to you?'
我對你不友好嗎?
Not as much as last time.'
比上次好一些。
She hit my face as hard as she could.
她拼命地揙我一個耳光。
Now,you coarse little boy,what do you think of me?
喂,你這個粗俗的小孩子,你現在覺得我怎么樣?
I won't tell you.
我不告訴你。
Why don't you cry again,you fool?
你為什么不再哭鼻子呢?你這個傻瓜。
Because I'll never cry for you again,'I said,which was a very false promise,
因為,我永遠不會再為你哭鼻子,我說,但是,這話是自欺欺人的。
because I was crying inside at the time,and only I know how much I cried for her later.
因為,這次在內心里還是哭了,只有我知道,我不記恨她。
On our way upstairs we met a gentleman coming down in the dark.
在我們上樓的路上,遇見一位先生正在摸黑下樓。
He was a large,heavy man,with a very dark skin,sharp eyes,and a huge head,almost bald on the top.
他是個身材魁梧的家伙,皮膚很黑、小眼睛、大腦袋,幾乎是禿了頂,
His hands smelt strongly of perfumed soap.I didn't know then how important he would ha later on in my life.
他的雙手有一股撲鼻的香肥皂味。我并不知道他在我以后的生活中起多大作用。
Who's this?he asked Estella,stopping to look at me. A local boy. Miss Havisham sent for him,'she replied.
這是誰呀?他停止腳步,望著我問艾絲黛拉。一個當地的孩子,郝薇香小姐讓他來的。他回答說。
Well,in my experience most boys are bad,'he said to me.Behave yourself!
噢,以我的了解看,大部分孩子都很壞,他對我說。要規矩點!
He bit the side of his large finger as he frowned at me,and then continued downstairs.
他向我皺著眉頭,用粗大的手指彈我一下。然后,繼續下樓。
This time Miss Havisham was in another room,which I had not seen before.
這一次,郝薇香小姐是在一間我以前沒有見過的房間里,
All the furniture was covered in dust.In the candle-light I could see a long table,in the middle of which was a large yellow shape,with hundreds of insects feeding off it.
所有的陳設布滿塵土,在影影綽綽的燭光下,我能看見一張長桌,桌子中間有一大塊黃色的圓東西,上面有成千上萬只蟲子在叮食。
關于《遠大前程》
作者狄更斯經歷了豐富的人間生活后,對人,對周圍環境,對自己的生活經歷都有了深刻的認識,而所有他成熟的思想認識都匯總在《遠大前程》一書中。