This,said Miss Havisham,pointing to the table,is where they will put me when I'm dead.
這,郝蔽香小姐指著那張桌子說,是我的葬身之地,
I'll lie on the table,and my relations can come and look at me.
我將躺在桌子上,親戚們能來看看我。
She put a bony hand on my shoulder,but I didn't want her to touch me.
她把瘦瘦的手放在我肩上。但是,我不讓她來碰我。
I was afraid she would die there and then.
我害怕她隨時會死去的。
And that,she added,pointing to the yellow shape,that was my wedding cake.
那個,她指著那個黃色的圓形東西補充說,是我的結婚蛋糕,
Mine!She looked all round the room angrily.Come!she said suddenly.
我的!她忿怒地滿屋環視了一下,過來!她突然說,
Help me walk round the room.And call Estella!
扶著我在屋里轉轉,叫艾絲黛拉!
I held her arm to support her as she walked.
我扶著她的手臂支撐著她走走。
We were still going slowly and painfully round the room when Estella brought in the relations who had been waiting downstairs.
當艾絲黛拉帶著那些在樓下等候的親戚到來時,我們仍然在慢慢地、艱難地圍著屋子兜圈圈。
They stood watching us at the door.
他們站在門口看著我們,
I thought they blamed me for Miss Havisham's cold manner towards them.
我覺得這些來客把郝薇香小姐對他們的不禮貌行為推到我身上。
Dear Miss Havisham!said one of the ladies lovingly.How well you look!
親愛的郝薇香小姐!其中一位太太討好地說,你看上去多么健康呀!
I do not,replied Miss Havisham sharply.I am yellow skin and bone.'
我不好,郝薇香小姐吹毛求疵地回答,臉色蠟黃皮包骨頭。
How could Miss Havisham look well,after all her suffer-ing?said a second lady quickly. Impossible!What a silly idea!
郝薇香小姐身體怎么能好呢,畢竟她患了場大病?第二個太太趕緊說,那不可能,多么愚蠢的想法!
And how are you?Miss Havisham asked this lady.
你怎么樣?郝薇香小姐問這位太太。
As we were close to her then,I would have stopped,but Miss Havisham insisted on walking past .It seemed rather rude.
當我們靠近她時,我已經停止了腳步。可是,郝薇香小姐堅持走下去,看上去相當粗暴。
Not well at all,'said this lady sadly.
身體一點也不好,這位太太傷心地說,
I don't want to talk too much about my feelings,but-well-I often lie awake at night thinking of you,dear Miss Havisham!'
我不想講太多的感受。但是—唉—我常常醒著躺在床上整夜地想你,親愛的郝薇香小姐!
關于《遠大前程》
皮普內心的善良又為逃犯帶了塊餡餅。但不久,逃犯就在和另一個逃犯搏斗的過程中被警察逮捕了。