Do you wish to see Miss Havisham?she asked.
你想見郝薇香小姐嗎?她問道。
If Miss Havisham wishes to see me,answered Mr Pumblechook,a little confused.
如果郝薇香小姐想見我,潘波趣先生有點慌亂地說。
Ah!said the girl,but you see,she doesn't.
噢!那女孩說,可是,你明白,她不想見你。
Mr Pumblechook dared not protest but he whispered angrily to me before he turned away,Boy!
潘波趣先生不敢堅持主張,但是,他在返回之前,惡狠狠地小聲對我講:孩子!
Behave well here and re-member those who brought you up by hand!
在這兒要規矩點,記住是誰親手把你養大!
I thought he would come back and call through the gate,And sixteen?but he did not.
我想他會回來,通過門縫喊,加16?但是,他沒有這樣做。
The young lady took me through the untidy garden to the house.
那個年輕的小姐領著我穿過一座不整潔的花園來到這所房子。
Although she called me boy,she was the same age as me,
盡管她叫我孩子,她的年紀和我一樣大,
but she seemed much older than me.
可是,看上去她比我還大點。
She was beautiful,and as proud as a queen.
她長得很漂亮,卻像王后一樣傲慢。
We went through many dark passages until we reached a door,where she left me,taking her candle with her.
我們穿過了幾條漆黑的過道,才來到了一個房間門口,在這兒她帶蠟燭離開了我。
I knocked at the door and was told to enter.I found myself in a large room,
我敲了敲門,里面叫我進去。我發現自己在一個大房間里,
where the curtains were closed to allow no daylight in,and the candles were lit.
這里的窗簾關得緊緊的,不讓一縷日光透進來,但點著很多蠟燭。
In the centre of the room,sitting at a table,was the strangest lady I have ever seen,or shall ever see.
在屋子的中央,桌子旁坐著的是一位我從沒有見過而且將不會再見到的,特別奇怪的夫人。
She was wearing a wedding dress made of rich material.She had a bride's flowers in her hair,
她穿著一身由高級材料做的結婚禮服,頭上戴著新娘花朵,
but her hair was white.
但她已是滿頭銀發了。
There were suitcases full of dresses and Jewels around her,ready for a journey.
她周圍有些衣箱及珠寶,像似準備旅行。
She only had one white shoe on.
她只穿著一只白鞋,
Then I realized that over the years the white wedding dress had become yellow,and the flowers in her hair had died,
這時我才辨認出來,這么多年來白色的結婚禮服已經變黃了,頭上戴的花朵已經干癟了,
and the bride inside the dress had grown old.Everything in the room was ancient and dying.
新娘已經老了。屋里的一切都顯得既古老又死氣沉沉的。
The only brightness in the room was in her dark old eyes,that stared at me.
在屋子里僅有一光點是她那雙黑色的老眼,瞪著我。

關于《遠大前程》
然后用殺人罪和女兒的前途作威脅,因為殺人犯的女兒理應也被關進監獄,結果律師成功地讓那逃犯的妻子老老實實地為他做了20幾年的奴隸。