"Bella?" he asked, anxious now.
“貝拉?”他問道,有些不安起來。
"I think I need to lie down," I gasped.
“我想我需要躺下來。”我喘息著說。
"Oh, sorry." He waited for me, but I still couldn't move.
“哦,對不起。”他等著我,但我還是動不了。
"I think I need help," I admitted.
“我想我需要幫助。”我坦白道。
He laughed quietly, and gently unloosened my stranglehold on his neck. There was no resisting the iron strength of his hands. Then he pulled me around to face him, cradling me in his arms like a small child. He held me for a moment, then carefully placed me on the springy ferns.
他安靜地笑了起來,溫柔地解開了我緊扣在他脖子上的胳膊。根本沒法抵抗他的雙手如鋼鐵般的力量。然后他把我轉過來和他面對面,將我環抱在懷里,好像我是個小孩子一樣。他摟著我,片刻之后,小心地把我放到那片柔韌的蕨類植物上。
"How do you feel?" he asked.
“你感覺怎么樣?”他問道。
I couldn't be sure how I felt when my head was spinning so crazily. "Dizzy, I think."
在我的腦子還在如此瘋狂地眩暈著的時候,我不能肯定自己感覺怎么樣。“頭暈目眩,我想。”
"Put your head between your knees."
“把你的頭放在膝蓋中間。”
I tried that, and it helped a little. I breathed in and out slowly, keeping my head very still. I felt him sitting beside me. The moments passed, and eventually I found that I could raise my head. There was a hollow ringing sound in my ears.
我試著做到這一點,而這確實有些作用。我慢慢地吸氣,呼氣,讓我的頭保持不動。我感到他就坐在我旁邊。過了一會,我發現我終于可以抬起頭了。我的耳朵里回蕩著空洞的耳鳴聲。
"I guess that wasn't the best idea," he mused.
“我猜這不是個好主意。”他沉思著,說道。
I tried to be positive, but my voice was weak. "No, it was very interesting."
我試圖顯得積極些,但我的聲音還是很虛弱。“不,這非常有趣。”
"Hah! You're as white as a ghost — no, you're as white as me!"
“哈!你白得像個幽靈——不,你白得像我一樣!”
"I think I should have closed my eyes."
“我想我應該先閉上眼睛的。”
"Remember that next time."
“下次記著這一點。”
"Next time!" I groaned.
“下次!”我呻吟道。
He laughed, his mood still radiant.
他大笑起來,他的心情依然充滿了喜悅。
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。