We sat like that for another immeasurable moment; I wondered if he could be as unwilling to move as I was. But I could see the light was fading, the shadows of the forest beginning to touch us, and I sighed.
我們像那樣坐著,不知坐了多久。我懷疑他是否不情愿改變姿勢,就像我一樣。但我能看到光線黯淡下來了,樹林的陰影開始延伸到我們身下。我嘆了口氣。
"You have to go."
“你得走了。”
"I thought you couldn't read my mind."
“我以為你不能讀我的心。”
"It's getting clearer." I could hear a smile in his voice.
“我越來越擅長讀你的表情了。”我能聽到他聲音里的笑意。
He took my shoulders and I looked into his face.
他扶起我的肩膀,我看著他的眼睛。
"Can I show you something?" he asked, sudden excitement flaring in his eyes.
“我能向你展示某件事嗎?”他問道,某種突如其來的興奮在他眼里一閃而過。
"Show me what?"
“向我展示什么?”
"I'll show you how I travel in the forest." He saw my expression. "Don't worry, you'll be very safe, and we'll get to your truck much faster." His mouth twitched up into that crooked smile so beautiful my heart nearly stopped.
“我會向你展示我是怎樣在森林里旅行的。”他看見了我的表情。“別擔心。你會很安全的,而且我們會更快地到達你的卡車。”他的嘴唇彎了起來,那個彎彎的笑容是如此的美麗,我的心跳幾乎要停拍了。
"Will you turn into a bat?" I asked warily.
“你要變成一只蝙蝠嗎?”我警惕地問道。
He laughed, louder than I'd ever heard. "Like I haven't heard that one before!"
他大笑起來,甚至比我聽過的還有響亮。“好像我之前還沒聽過這個理論。”
"Right, I'm sure you get that all the time."
“沒錯,我能肯定你始終知道這一點。”
"Come on, little coward, climb on my back."
“來吧,膽小鬼,爬到我的背上來。”
I waited to see if he was kidding, but, apparently, he meant it. He smiled as he read my hesitation, and reached for me. My heart reacted; even though he couldn't hear my thoughts, my pulse always gave me away. He then proceeded to sling me onto his back, with very little effort on my part, besides, when in place, clamping my legs and arms so tightly around him that it would choke a normal person. It was like clinging to a stone.
我等著看他是否在開玩笑,但是,顯然,他就是這個意思。他看懂了我的表情,然后笑了起來,伸手抓住我。我的心臟立刻有了反應:盡管他聽不到我的想法,我的脈搏總是會出賣我。他隨即把我扔到了背上,我幾乎沒怎么費勁。另外,當我爬上去時,我用胳膊和腿緊緊地鉗住了他,如果他是一個普通的人類的話,他一定會窒息的。這像是在緊緊地抱住一塊石頭。
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。