Blood boiled under my skin, burned in my lips. My breath came in a wild gasp. My fingers knotted in his hair, clutching him to me. My lips parted as I breathed in his heady scent.
血液在我的肌膚下沸騰著,灼燒著我的唇。我的呼吸變成了失控的喘息。我的手指糾纏著他的發,把他按向我。我的唇微微張開,吸進了他令人陶醉的香氣。
Immediately I felt him turn to unresponsive stone beneath my lips. His hands gently, but with irresistible force, pushed my face back. I opened my eyes and saw his guarded expression.
我立刻感覺到他在我的唇下變成了毫無反應的石頭。他的手溫柔地,卻用著不可抵抗的力量,把我的臉退開了。我睜開眼睛,看見他充滿警惕的神情。
"Oops," I breathed.
“噢。”我喘息著說道。
"That's an understatement."
“那是一種保守的描述。”
His eyes were wild, his jaw clenched in acute restraint, yet he didn't lapse from his perfect articulation. He held my face just inches from his. He dazzled my eyes.
他的眼睛睜大著,他的下巴繃緊著,他在痛苦地克制著自己,但他還是沒有背離他那完美清晰的發音。他碰著我的臉,離他的臉只有幾英寸遠。他的俊美讓我有些目眩。
"Should I… ?" I tried to disengage myself, to give him some room.
“我應該……?”我試圖掙脫出來,給他一點空間。
His hands refused to let me move so much as an inch.
他的雙手拒絕放開我,哪怕只是挪動一英寸。
"No, it's tolerable. Wait for a moment, please." His voice was polite, controlled.
“不,這還能忍受。稍等片刻,拜托。”他的聲音很禮貌,充滿了克制。
I kept my eyes on his, watched as the excitement in them faded and gentled.
我凝視著他的眼睛,看著他眼里的興奮漸漸褪去,眼神溫柔起來。
Then he smiled a surprisingly impish grin.
然后,他咧著嘴,露出了一個頑皮得驚人的笑容。
"There," he said, obviously pleased with himself.
“好啦。”他說道,顯然對自己很是高興。
"Tolerable?" I asked.
“還受得住嗎?”我問道。
He laughed aloud. "I'm stronger than I thought. It's nice to know."
他大聲笑了起來。“我比我想象的還要堅強。很高興能知道這一點。”
"I wish I could say the same. I'm sorry."
“我希望我也能這樣說。我很抱歉。”
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。