'You've got me,'said Laurie.'I'm not good for much,but I promise I'll always be your friend,Jo.'
你有我呢,羅瑞說。我不一定很好,可我發誓我會永遠是你的朋友,瓊。
'I know you will,'answered Jo,gratefully.
我知道你會的,瓊感激地說。
'Then don't be sad,'he said.'I'll be back from college in three years time,and then we'll go abroad,or on a nice trip somewhere.
那別傷心了,他說。我三年之后就會大學畢業,然后我們就出國,或者去什么地方好好旅行一番。
Wouldn't that cheer you up?'
那會讓你高興一點嗎?
'Anything can happen in three years,'said Jo.
三年里什么都會發生,瓊說。
'That's true,'said Laurie.'Don't you wish you knew what was going to happen?'
是的,羅瑞說。你希望知道將會發生什么嗎?
'I don't think so,'said Jo.'It may be something sad,and everyone looks so happy now.
我不希望,瓊說。可能會是傷心的事,現在每個人看上去都很高興。
'As she spoke,she looked round the room,and her face brightened at the sight.
當她說這話時,她環顧屋內,她看到的景象使她高興起來。
Father and Mother sat happily together.
爸爸和媽媽快樂地坐在一起。
Amy was drawing a picture of Meg and John,who were looking lovingly at each other.
艾米在為麥格和約翰畫畫,那兩個人相互愛戀地對望著。
Beth lay on the floor,talking to her old friend,Mr Laurence.
白絲躺在地板上和她的老朋友勞倫斯先生聊天。
Jo sat in her favourite chair with a serious,quietlook on her face.
瓊在她最喜歡的椅子上坐下,面帶嚴肅安靜的表情。
Laurie smiled at her in the long mirror that was opposite them both . And Jo smiled back.
羅瑞從他們對面的長鏡中對她微笑,瓊也朝他微笑。
關于《小婦人》
后來鄰居勞倫斯家也有一個藏書室,那也是喬經常去的地方。這些都為喬日后熱心寫作出版了多部作品而打下了基礎。