Beth moved out of her father's arms and went to the piano.
白絲從父親懷里下來,來到鋼琴旁邊。
She touched the keys softly and began to sing.
她輕輕地觸動了琴鍵,開始唱歌。
Soon,the others joined her in a happy Christmas song.
不久,其他人就跟她一起唱起了一支圣誕歌。
The next afternoon,Jo and Meg were sitting at the window when Laurie went by.
第二天下午,瓊和麥格正坐在窗邊時,羅瑞正好路過。
When he saw Meg,he fell on one knee in the snow,beat his chest,and put out his arms towards her.
當他看見麥格的時候,他單膝跪倒在雪地里,捶打自己的胸口,并向她伸出雙臂。
When Meg told him to go away,he pretended to cry before walking away looking miserable.
當麥格告訴他走開時,他假裝哭泣,然后面帶痛苦地走了。
Meg laughed.'What was he doing?'she said.
麥格笑了。他在干什么?她問。
'He was showing you how your John will act,'answered Jo,crossly.
他在向你演示你的約翰會對你怎么樣。瓊面帶怒氣地說。
'Don't say my John,it isn't right.'But Meg said the words again silently inside her head.
別說'我的約翰',這不對,可麥格在腦海里默默地又重復了那句話。
'If he asks yon to marry him,you'll cry or look stupid,in-stead of saying a loud No,'said Jo.
如果他讓你嫁給他,你會哭,或者看上去很蠢,而不會大聲說不。瓊說。
'No,I won't,'said Meg.'I'll say,Thank you,Mr Brooke,you are very kind,but I am too young to marry you.Please let us be friends,as we were.'
不,我不會的,麥格說。我會說,'謝謝你,布魯克先生,你很好,可我太年輕了,不能嫁給你。讓我們做朋友吧,就像從前那樣。'
'I don't believe it,'said Jo.
我不相信,瓊說。
'It's true.Then I'll walk out of the room with my head high.
是真的。我會高高地抬起頭走出房間。
'Meg got up and pretended to do it-but ran back to her seat when she heard someone knock on the door.
麥格站起來假裝那樣做—可當她聽到有人敲門時她就跑回了座位。

關于《小婦人》
小說作者早年在新英格蘭地區的生活經歷,成了以后的寫作題材,由于親身體驗,寫來得心應手,人物靈活生動,情節趣味盎然,且富有教益。